Unrecognized tag prefix or device filter 'asp'

Nathan Sokalski

I am having a strange problem in Visual Studio 2008. All server controls in
my Pages are giving the message:

Unrecognized tag prefix or device filter 'asp'.

This started happening for no apparent reason, and I would like to find out
how to fix it. I have been unable to find a working solution on the web.
This problem is also not happening with other Solutions/Projects (even on
this machine). Also, for some unexplained reason, the asp:Content server
control is the only server control I have noticed that is not having a
problem. Several of the pages I found online mentioned some stuff about
Master Pages, especially nested ones, but none of my Master Pages are
nested, and the problem occurs for server controls in the Master Page as
well. I also found some stuff that mentioned Visual Studio being unable to
load the necessary assemblies, but I tried reinstalling the .NET Framework
(all versions), and still no change. Can anybody help me here? Any help
would be appreciated. Thanks.

Guest

[...]

Look at the other solution at
http://blogs.msdn.com/mikhailarkhipov/archive/2005/04/21/410557.aspx

Maybe this would solve your problem

Nathan Sokalski

No, I have actually tried that, and it didn't help. The page mentioned stuff
about Visual Studio 2005 requiring a <body> tag for the intellisense to work
(I am using 2008, so I don't know if this is relevant or not). However, that
doesn't explain why it started just now. Any other ideas? Thanks.
--
Nathan Sokalski
(e-mail address removed)