USB and hibernation

Roedy Green

Is there a mechanism for a USB port to be able wake up a PC on standby
or hibernating?

Ethernet cards can do it. Can anything else?

Jan Thomä

Is there a mechanism for a USB port to be able wake up a PC on standby
or hibernating?

Ethernet cards can do it. Can anything else?

Well at least my apple laptop wakes up from standby if i plug a device
in, so i would assume it is at least possible. I cannot tell if this
would work on standard hardware with windows or if its just something
apple has built into their OS..

Best regards,
Jan

Roedy Green

A wakeup from an USB keyboard is still considered a wake-on-keyboard.

The reason I am curious is I have been studying a device called a
Magic Jack, a USB dongle you plug into your computer and then you can
plug a telephone into it and treat it like a land line. You don't even
have to install software. Somehow just plugging it in handles that,
possibly with onboard drivers or someway to find them on the net and
install them.

Any way I was wondering how it would accept a call when the computer
was hibernating or off. It turns out it can't. It deals with he
problem by suppressing the ability of your machine to hibernate.

I was wondering if there might be some alternate way to handle it,
where the device wakes up the computer if a call comes in.

Unfortunately the device itself does not know there in an incoming
call, it is an incoming packet that acts like the ring. It would have
to be the Ethernet card that does the wakeup. I don't think that is
standard.

So perhaps the device could listen on a particular radio frequency for
a wakeup code. You would not need much bandwidth, since only sleeping
computers getting a call would need a message.

The control system would know which computers are asleep and could
tell the caller to be patient while the computer wakes up and summons
the callee.