USB port in perl

Ashley Harris

I hope to have a Linux box sitting in the boot of my car using perl and some
CPAN modules for Ogg-Vorbis and Audio Streaming for a home-built stereo
system. I recently scored a GPS locater that plugs into a USB port, and
this. The old PC doesn't have a usb card in it, not a big deal, I'd pay a
few bucks for it, but I can't seem to find a USB module for perl?

is there a Devise::USB or equiverlant module for perl?

are there other methods of reading from a USB port in this setup? something
like `/dev/usb1 > /home/gps/gps.grab.txt` and then reading the text file
with my perl script?

or is it possible to do some cable cutting and soldering to plug a USB
device into a serial port and read with the serial module?

The protocol used by the device is a text protocol NEMA1803 or something of
the like, sent over USB 1.1?

Any ideas people?

Wiseguy

Ashley Harris said:
is there a Devise::USB or equiverlant module for perl?

To the best of my knowledge: no.

are there other methods of reading from a USB port in this setup? something
like `/dev/usb1 > /home/gps/gps.grab.txt` and then reading the text file
with my perl script?

USB, at the level you are inquring, isn't designed to be accessed in that
way. You won't find any direct /dev/usb device. The protocol is designed
as a base hardware protocol and needs a software layer (driver class) for
each type of device you wish to access.
or is it possible to do some cable cutting and soldering to plug a USB
device into a serial port and read with the serial module?

At your own risk, but you won't get anything useful out of it.

A USB to serial converter "may" work, accessed as /dev/usb/ttyUSB??