usenet posting of perl release

simil

"Larry Wall released the first released version 1.0 of perl to the
comp.sources.misc newsgroup on December 18, 1987". Almost everybody
must have seen this line when they first start learning perl. But
where the hell is that posting? I have been trying to find out that
posting but in vain. Can anybody point me to that? I am just curious.

simil

Ben Morrow

Quoth simil said:
"Larry Wall released the first released version 1.0 of perl to the
comp.sources.misc newsgroup on December 18, 1987". Almost everybody
must have seen this line when they first start learning perl. But
where the hell is that posting? I have been trying to find out that
posting but in vain. Can anybody point me to that? I am just curious.

See http://history.perl.org/PerlTimeline.html (a potted history of Perl, the
Internet, and Unix); http://sources.isc.org/devel/lang/perl.txt (the
original perl-1 posting without the source code), and
http://history.perl.org/src/perl-1.0.tar.gz (the original source).

Ben

simil

Seehttp://history.perl.org/PerlTimeline.html(a potted history of Perl, the
Internet, and Unix);http://sources.isc.org/devel/lang/perl.txt(the
original perl-1 posting without the source code), andhttp://history.perl.org/src/perl-1.0.tar.gz(the original source).

Ben

hi,
Thanks for the links. But, I was looking for the exact posting made
by larry wall in comp.sources.misc usenet group. I searched the group
but couldn't find anything :(. And regarding the content of the first
post at http://sources.isc.org/devel/lang/perl.txt ,why is the date
Jan 31, 1988 and not Dec 18, 1987?

simil

Randal L. Schwartz

simil> Thanks for the links. But, I was looking for the exact posting made
simil> by larry wall in comp.sources.misc usenet group. I searched the group
simil> but couldn't find anything :(. And regarding the content of the first
simil> post at http://sources.isc.org/devel/lang/perl.txt ,why is the date
simil> Jan 31, 1988 and not Dec 18, 1987?

I think we're all going off the CVS date which is 1987-12-18 as the
'birthday', although you're right, it wasn't published to comp.sources.unix
until the end of January 1988.

I found

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sources.unix/msg/bb3ee125385ae25f

which seems to be the first post of the first kit of Perl 1.0, dated
01 Feb 1988.

Douglas Wells

Thanks for the links. But, I was looking for the exact posting made
by larry wall in comp.sources.misc usenet group. I searched the group
but couldn't find anything :(. And regarding the content of the first
post at http://sources.isc.org/devel/lang/perl.txt ,why is the date
Jan 31, 1988 and not Dec 18, 1987?

I suspect some of that information is wrong. According to my
archives, perl v1.0 went out on comp.sources.unix (not .misc) dated
"1 Feb 88." See <or
<http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sources.unix/msg/bb3ee125385ae25f?dmode=source&hl=en>.

I looked in my USENET archive CD-ROM dated July 1993, and I see
no Perl release that early on comp.sources.misc. I do note,
however, that volume 1 of c.s.m is missing from that archive --
and may have never existed. (Volume 2 of c.s.m started in early 1988.)

I don't know about the date discrepancy. Note that the c.s.u
moderator did a lot of checking of input, and many submissions
took quite a lot of additional work (and time) before they were
portable enough and compiled cleanly enough to go out under the
c.s.u manteau. It's also possible that a submission didn't work
well with non-UNIX systems and was kicked over to c.s.u from c.s.m
(although, and I repeat, I have no knowledge of this particular
situation).

- dmw