using an existing DLL file without having access to the source code?

Dieter Vanderelst

Dear all,

Could anybody tell me whether there are ways to use an existing DLL file
in Python without having access to the source code?

I'm trying to find a way to use the image filters available in the
Filters-project (http://filters.sourceforge.net/) without having to
compile or build the DLL myself, which is according to the authors very
hard.

I have quite some experience with Python itself, but I'm not really
familiar with extending/embedding Python, please bare that in mind when
responding :).

With kind regards,
Dieter

jay graves

Dieter said:
Could anybody tell me whether there are ways to use an existing DLL file
in Python without having access to the source code?

Try ctypes.
http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/ctypes/
I'm trying to find a way to use the image filters available in the
Filters-project (http://filters.sourceforge.net/) without having to
compile or build the DLL myself, which is according to the authors very
hard.

I don't have any experience with this specific library but I've used
ctypes in the past and it worked great.

HTH.
jay graves