Using javascript to create text editing in a textarea

Lindsey

Hi

I am wondering if anyone can help.

We have a form used by a client to add news to a database, however at
the moment the text edited is bog standard and the user can not bold
or color the text.

I have seen in email applications such as hotmail and yahoo, that when
you create a new email there is a menu above which when you highlight
the text in the textarea and click the appropriate button the text can
be made bold or italic or red or blue or whatever.

My question is how can i create such a menu so that my non-tech users
can manipulate the appearance of the text in the textarea at a click
of a button, before submitting it to the database?

Does anyone have any expale code and any useful links?

Thanks

ZER0

http://devedge.netscape.com/viewsource/2003/midas/01/

--
C'ya,
ZER0 :: coder.gfxer.webDesigner();

Le donne si dividono in 4 categorie: le suore (non la danno a nessuno);
le puttane (la danno a tutti); le stronze (la danno a tutti tranne che
a te); le rompiballe (la danno a te e solo a te).

Markus Ernst

ZER0 said:

Some links I got from a friend who teaches web programming:

htmlArea
http://www.interactivetools.com/products/htmlarea

skyWriter (Internet Explorer und Mozilla)
http://wysiwyg.skybuilders.com/

Cross-Browser Rich Text Editor by Kevin Roth
http://www.kevinroth.com/rte/demo.htm

WYSIWYG DHTML Editor
http://freshmeat.net/releases/128064/

Ekit (Java-Open-Source-WYSIWYG-Editor)