using python ftp

Matt Funk

Hi,

i was wondering whether someone can point me whether the following
already exists.

I want to connect to a server , download various files (for whose name i
want to be able to use a wildcard), and store those files in a given
location on the hard drive. If the file already exists i do not want to
download it.

This seems fairly trivial and i would assume that there should be some
sort of implementation that does this easily but i didn't find anything
googling it.

Otherwise i was going to do it "by hand" using ftplib:
1) connect to server,
2) change to directory on server
3) get listing
4) match the file pattern i want to the listing
5) check if file already exists
6) download file if matched and doesn't exist

Can anyone offer any advice whether this already done somewhere?

thanks
matt

Stefan Schwarzer

Hello Matt,

i was wondering whether someone can point me whether the following
already exists.

I want to connect to a server , download various files (for whose name i
want to be able to use a wildcard), and store those files in a given
location on the hard drive. If the file already exists i do not want to
download it.
[...]

You might want to check out ftputil:

http://ftputil.sschwarzer.net/
http://ftputil.sschwarzer.net/trac/wiki/Documentation
Otherwise i was going to do it "by hand" using ftplib:
1) connect to server,
2) change to directory on server
3) get listing
4) match the file pattern i want to the listing
5) check if file already exists
6) download file if matched and doesn't exist

Can anyone offer any advice whether this already done somewhere?

ftputil will do most of these tasks easily. For step 4
you probably want to use Python's fnmatch module, see
http://docs.python.org/library/fnmatch.html .

If you have questions on ftputil, there's also a
mailing list:
(You need to be subscribed to the list to post, though.)

Stefan