Validating a checkbox

Scott Natwick

I would like to validate that a Checkbox is checked on the client-side.

I have tried the "requiredfieldvalidator" and the
"regularexpressionvalidator", but haven't been able to get either of them to
work the Checkbox.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Scott

Jeffrey Palermo [MCP]

Scott,
If you have tried the RequiredFieldValidator, you would have seen:
Control 'chk' referenced by the ControlToValidate property of
'RequiredFieldValidator1' cannot be validated.

Indeed, the built-in validator controls cannot validate the checkbox. You
will have to use the custom validator to do this or write your own client
side validation.

A quick search of Google for "asp.net validate checkbox", you would find
that one of the results is:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d.../html/aspnet-validateaspnetservercontrols.asp,
and this explains how validations work.

Here's a page that validates a checkbox:

<%@ Page language="c#" Codebehind="ValidateCheckbox.aspx.cs"
AutoEventWireup="false" Inherits="WebApplication1.ValidateCheckbox" %>
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<script language="javascript">
function ValidateChecked(oSrc, args){
if(document.all["<%=chk.ClientID%>"].checked == false){
alert("Has to be checked.");
args.IsValid = false;
</script>
</HEAD>
<asp:CustomValidator ClientValidationFunction="ValidateChecked"
Runat="server" ID="val"/>
<asp:CheckBox ID="chk" Runat="server" />
<asp:Button ID="btn" Runat="server" Text="Submit" />
</form>
</HTML>

Best regards,
Jeffrey Palermo

Scott Natwick

Jeffrey,

Thank you for your suggestion. I used your example and it works!

Regards,
Scott

Scott Natwick said:
I would like to validate that a Checkbox is checked on the client-side.

I have tried the "requiredfieldvalidator" and the
"regularexpressionvalidator", but haven't been able to get either of them to
work the Checkbox.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Scott

Joined
Apr 3, 2012
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Thanks

I've used your example...thanks! You saved me some working hour! :lol:

Regards,
ZioBelin

Jeffrey Palermo [MCP];413756 said:
[...]

news:[email protected]...