Validating XML types before (as) Reading into Dataset

Earl Teigrob

I would like to be able to validate an XML file before it is (or as it is
being) read into a DataSet.

I have a class that dynamically creates a DataSet with typed columns based
on another "record definition" class. Then I use this DataSet to write and
read data to and from an XML file

My issue is that I as I make revisions to my application and change the type
of data a certain (DataSet Column) node contains, It causes my DataSet to
chock when it reads the (now invalid) data. For example, If I initially
specify a DataSet Table Column as String and save the table to XML and then
change it to Int and try to read the XML file back into the DataSet, it
generates an error. It would be great to be able to specify a default value
for any invalid data that is contained within the XML file I am reading
from.

What are my options in this regard?

Thanks

Earl