validation controls not working, on 2003 server

Jason Shohet

They are working fine on our w2k servers.
On the remote site -- using 2003 server -- the controls don't occur until
after the action is taken. We are doing a catch, so that we don't give the
user an ugly error screen -- and we notice that the validators display an
error messgage there. I want to tell them,
"HEY, validate BEFORE the update / insert to the database, not
afterwards!"

In other words, the validator is not preventing the code from executing when
the submit button is pressed.
But again, it is only on that 1 server. Any ideas?
Jason Shohet

Big D

On the 2003 server do you have the ASP_NET client? (usually this is your web
root/aspnet_client folder). Is the server running the same version of the
framework as you developed in? You should have a
root/aspnet_client/system_web/"frameworkversionfolder" like 1_0_3705_0 and
1_1_4322... make sure those are there.

It's important to realize that if your validators do not fire CLIENT SIDE,
they can still be caught SERVER SIDE, as long as you are checking if
Page.IsValid. Like:

If Page.IsValid then
'do my code
else
'exit sub
end if

This will fire your validators server side and the user will see it on
postback. Remember, not all browsers are going to support client side
validation, and if it's important, you need to check it again at the server.

-MCD

Jason Shohet

Hi Big Daddy,

The host provider is on 1.1.4322 just as I am. And, other serverside stuff
is working fine. That leads me to believe they have the ASP_NET client,
otherwise none of our asp.net / codebehinds would work. It just appears
that the clientside authentication (from those validators) isn't working.

We're going to try the page.IsValid, sounds like a good idea! But I dislike
though applying bandaids like this w/o knowing why its not working in the
1st place.

TY for the help -- much appreciated!,
Little Daddy Junior

Guest

hi Jason

the directory aspnet_client must be a virtual rooted,
maybe it was not created for your web site

try to copy
/aspnet_client/<your assembly name>/<your assembly version>/from you pc to
the server

Alexey