verification tools?

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by burn.sir, Dec 16, 2005.

  1. burn.sir

    burn.sir Guest

    hello group! (and sorry for the cross-posting)

    I am working on a complex FPGA prototype and have already a feeling
    that the usual "testbench verification" wont help very much here. I
    have worked with formal verification in past and think this is a great
    opportunity to introduce the team to FV.

    I couldn't get the management to pay for new verification software, so
    i decided to ask the experts (you guys) if any good but "free"
    verification tools are available. I am even interested in academic type
    of software (=working but user unfriendly). For example, i could go for
    SMV if i could figure out a way to feed it VHDL or compiled netlists.

    Of course, it does not have to be "formal" verification. I could go
    with any tool available as long as it gets the job done. So please help
    me find the right tool for this job. You may also take this as a great
    opportunity for you guys to promote your software or share your
    experiences with the world!

    regards, Burns

    burn.sir, Dec 16, 2005

  2. burn.sir

    Tom Guest

    In terms of free model checkers, I've had the best luck with NuSMV. It
    doesn't have an HDL front-end, but does support a subset of PSL. There
    is a path to get Verilog into NuSMV using Icarus and Confluence's
    netlister (FNF), but the Verilog front-end is bit out of date.

    A better option is HDCaml. It already has a builtin simulator; once
    the link to NuSMV is completed, any counter example would produce VCD
    waveforms for debugging. HDCaml already generates synthesizable
    Verilog and SystemC. You'll find both the Icarus-FNF-NuSMV tool
    chain and the HDCaml HDL here...

    http://www.confluent.org/

    Of course if money's no object, I recommend Cadence IFV.

    -Tom

    Tom, Dec 18, 2005