Very nice python IDE (windows only)

ago

I have just discovered Python Scripter by Kiriakos Vlahos and it was a
pleasant surprise. I thought that it deserved to be signalled. It is
slim and fairly fast, with embedded graphical debugger, class browser,
file browser... If you are into graphical IDEs you are probably going
to enjoy it. Windows only unfortunately.

http://mmm-experts.com/Products.aspx?ProductId=4

Bernard Lebel

Not me. I'll probably sound pedantic but
- the editor text looks awful, changing the editor options had no effect at all
- there is no network access of UNC paths other than through File >
Open and Python Paths..... all of my code is on a network location
- expanding and collapsing directories is done with a transition
effect.... that drives me nuts

Bernard

ago

Bernard said:
Not me. I'll probably sound pedantic but
- the editor text looks awful, changing the editor options had no effect at all
- there is no network access of UNC paths other than through File >
Open and Python Paths..... all of my code is on a network location
- expanding and collapsing directories is done with a transition
effect.... that drives me nuts

You can certainly change the font of the editor (Tools>Options>Editor
Options>Display>Editor Font>Font), not to be confused with the font of
the Gutter which only changes the font inside the left bar (i.e. for
line numbers). Admittedly there are not too many fonts to choose from.

Jan Bijsterbosch

Hello ago, Bernard,

ago said:
You can certainly change the font of the editor (Tools>Options>Editor
Options>Display>Editor Font>Font), not to be confused with the font of
the Gutter which only changes the font inside the left bar (i.e. for
line numbers). Admittedly there are not too many fonts to choose from.

Furthermore the full source of the editor is available in the Delphi python
VCL components package as an example from the same site. If you're a happy
owner of Delphi, you just can change everything to your liking and
recompile...;-))

Greetings from sunny Amsterdam,

Jan

digitalorganics

Great IDE! I love it. Two things that make me very happy:

1. Unlike PythonWin and Stan's Python Editor (SPE), PyScripter shows
not just methods but also attributes in the class browser. [I'll
mention that Eric3 also does this, but I don't use Eric3 much because
the editor component doesn't allow scrolling through my code with a
mouse wheel (something I'm extremely used to being able to do at this
point).]

2. Extremely useful tooltips! You can receive context sensitive
information on methods, variables, and classes just by hovering over
them with your mouse! Awesome, truly awe inspiring.

I also like the modern look! Very slick and configurable. The variable
window below is nice too...

Thanks for mentioning!

Cheers,

DigiO

digitalorganics

Jan said:
Hello ago, Bernard,

Furthermore the full source of the editor is available in the Delphi python
VCL components package as an example from the same site. If you're a happy
owner of Delphi, you just can change everything to your liking and
recompile...;-))

Greetings from sunny Amsterdam,

Jan

I happen to have delphi, so if someone wants me to make small changes,
just let me know, I'll try to help....

digitalorganics

By the way, does anyone know if / how you can change the key bindings
in PythonWin? In PyScripter, I was quite pleased that the autocomplete
lets you make your selection by pressing enter (natural), yet in
PythonWin you have to press tab (unnatural). Thanks.

Jonathan Ellis

ago said:
I have just discovered Python Scripter by Kiriakos Vlahos and it was a
pleasant surprise. I thought that it deserved to be signalled. It is
slim and fairly fast, with embedded graphical debugger, class browser,
file browser... If you are into graphical IDEs you are probably going
to enjoy it. Windows only unfortunately.

http://mmm-experts.com/Products.aspx?ProductId=4

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I'd recommend using an IDE that
isn't based on an obviously dead-end platform. (PyScripter is written
in Delphi.)

-Jonathan

?

=?iso-8859-1?q?Luis_M._Gonz=E1lez?=

I happen to have delphi, so if someone wants me to make small changes,
just let me know, I'll try to help....

Hmm... now that you offer, would it be possible to have the colors of
text just like in IDLE?
I tried configuring the colors, but some of them don't exist as options
in this IDE (for example "orange").

I like how text looks in IDLE, with orange for reserved words, green
for strings, etc...

?

=?iso-8859-1?q?Luis_M._Gonz=E1lez?=

Jonathan said:
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I'd recommend using an IDE that
isn't based on an obviously dead-end platform. (PyScripter is written
in Delphi.)

-Jonathan

As long as people keep on using win32, it will be just fine.
After that, who knows what would be the best option? Delphi.Net
perhaps?

Jan Bijsterbosch

Hello Luis,

Luis M. González said:
Hmm... now that you offer, would it be possible to have the colors of
text just like in IDLE?
I tried configuring the colors, but some of them don't exist as options
in this IDE (for example "orange").

Hmm, it's a little bit hidden, but if you go to Options / Editor / Syntax
Colors and be sure to select Python language as editor syntax then select
'reserved words' and after that from the color dropdown box select Custom...
(the topmost option) a color dialog pops up and you can select any color You
want...;-))
I like how text looks in IDLE, with orange for reserved words, green
for strings, etc...

With the above, no problem at all...;-))

Greetings from sunny Amsterdam,

Jan

Jan Bijsterbosch

Hello Jonathan,

Jonathan Ellis said:
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I'd recommend using an IDE that
isn't based on an obviously dead-end platform. (PyScripter is written
in Delphi.)

Hmm, dead-end platform, where did that idea come from?
I certainly won't want to start anything remotely resembling to a language
war<g>, but I have to say after more than 20 years of programming with
Borland products in C, C++(Builder), Kylix and Delphi, there's certainly no
end in sight yet...;-))
-Jonathan

Greetings from sunny Amsterdam,

Jan

?

=?iso-8859-1?q?Luis_M._Gonz=E1lez?=

Jan said:
Hello Luis,

Hmm, it's a little bit hidden, but if you go to Options / Editor / Syntax
Colors and be sure to select Python language as editor syntax then select
'reserved words' and after that from the color dropdown box select Custom....
(the topmost option) a color dialog pops up and you can select any color You
want...;-))

With the above, no problem at all...;-))

Greetings from sunny Amsterdam,

Jan

Thank you!
You're right, the custom option is a litle bit hiddenm but now I
customized it just as I wanted.
Great IDE! I love it...

Luis