Visual Studio .Net v.s. Visual Basic .Net?

M P

Please help me choose the right software. What is the difference between the
two software? Since I will be using VB.Net, I really don;t need to use C#
that is included on VS.Net am I right? Any other feature that is an
advantage between the two? Hoping for your response.

Mark

Ken Dopierala Jr.

Good link Ken. Here is another link from that page:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/howtobuy/choosing.aspx

Basically you either need to go with VB.Net Standard or VisualStudio.Net
professional. The biggest thing for me personally is being able to create
class libraries and controls, so I need to go with VisualStudio.Net. If you
don't need those then you can go with Standard but it seems like I use that
for every project I create. Also I know there are messages floating around
showing how to create those projects in the Standard edition by modifying
some things manually (outside of the IDE). I'm sure it works but it is too
much of a hassle for me. Good luck! Ken.

TJS

Unless you are building desktop applications i don't think you need Visual
Studio
you can build asp sites with web matrix (or any text editor) , and VB.net
language

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\) [MVP]

The Visual Basic .NET tool is the learning edition, IMO. You cannot hook up
to an Enterprise Server without back dooring it (GUI tools don't work, in
other words). You are limited on project types, which means you have to back
door tiered architecture. There are other limitations. My suggestion is
leave the $100 product and find the best deal on VS.NET.

This should give you a better idea of features in VS.NET:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/howtobuy/choosing.aspx

And here is an interesting read:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/howtobuy/choosing.aspx
"Visual Basic .NET Standard Edition is available for the hobbyist, student,
or beginner programmer who wants to learn the Visual Basic language by
constructing applications for Windows® and the Web."

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\) [MVP]

The basic reason for picking up VS.NET is to rapidly build applications with
proper architecture. I would suggest Web Matrix over VB.NET Standard, unless
the goal is to learn the language in an IDE similar to VS.NET, but even Web
Matrix is aimed for the ASPer moving to ASP.NET, so it is not proper
architecture either.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!

Joe Fallon

I agree.
Try to go with VS.Net if you can.

Developing ASP.Net in VS is a dream.

I use VB but every now and then you just have to have a class in C#.
(See the CSLA framework for one example.)
It is handy to have it available.