VOIP over SSL

Luigi Donatello Asero

I am thinking about buying a certificate ( which one would you recommend, by
the way?) to create a safe connection (https)
for some pages of one of my websites and to use this safe connection to let
the user transmit data, perhaps let him or her pay for what he or she wants
to buy on the website (as one of many payment systems which I could offer, I
already offer other systems, for example, cash on delivery (betalning mot
postförskott) and
talk from my computer to traditional phones and viceversa.
Would you recommend VOIP over SSL or may-be another connection or may-be
a NG where I can get more information about VOIP over SSL?

-- Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
http://www.italymap.dk/
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/presentartiklar.html

brucie

In alt.html Luigi Donatello Asero said:
Which technique would you recommend to achieve the same aim?

don't ask me, i've never implemented voip. it needs to be encoded to be
sent so those that have done voip would probably be using their own
custom encryption via the client software.

Luigi Donatello Asero

brucie said:
In alt.html rf said:

too primitive

And often more expensive.
Besides SSL let the user do more than phonecalls.
It is used to create a safe connection between client and server, isn´t it?
It let the user be sure that the site he visits is just the site which
maintains to be and makes it possible the transmission of
confidential information doesn´it?
Some sites use this system to create a safe environment for payment by
credit cards and so on, don´t they?

-- Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
http://www.italymap.dk/
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/presentartiklar.html

brucie

In alt.html Luigi Donatello Asero said:
And often more expensive.
Besides SSL let the user do more than phonecalls.

but as the article mentioned its not really suitable for voice
It is used to create a safe connection between client and server, isn´t it?
It let the user be sure that the site he visits is just the site which
maintains to be and makes it possible the transmission of
confidential information doesn´it?
Some sites use this system to create a safe environment for payment by
credit cards and so on, don´t they?

which is all data NOT voice

Luigi Donatello Asero

brucie said:
In alt.html Luigi Donatello Asero said:

but as the article mentioned its not really suitable for voice

Which system is suitable to transmit voice and still encrypte it then?
VOIP is not entirely new.
which is all data NOT voice

I know but SSL is so useful for many things so I was wondering whether it
could also support voice.
(The article is critical but it also refers of a firm which offers VOIP over
SSL anyway)

If not, is there any encrypting system which supports both data and voice?

-- Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
http://www.italymap.dk/
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/presentartiklar.html

brucie

In alt.html Luigi Donatello Asero said:
May-be you did not read The Economist from October 30th-November 5th 2004,
did you?

IIRC i was watching some paint dry at the time.
By the way, I had already found that article before you mentioned that...

so i've wasted my time with this entire thread. i wonder why your
threads always make me feel like that.

Luigi Donatello Asero

brucie said:
In alt.html Luigi Donatello Asero said:

IIRC i was watching some paint dry at the time.

There is an article about the information technology.
that...

so i've wasted my time with this entire thread. i wonder why your
threads always make me feel like that.

I cannot know what you know on a certain subject before I ask a question.
I could not know that you should mention the same article which I had found
before!
Neither can I know whether you or somebody else and who else is going to
answer my questions.

-- Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
http://www.italymap.dk/
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.comde/geschenkartikel.html

Luigi Donatello Asero

Sybren Stuvel said:
Luigi Donatello Asero enlightened us with:

No need to buy anything. See http://www.cacert.org/ for free SSL
certificates.

Well, you can read on their site
"Please note a general limitation is that, unlike long-time players like
Verisign, CAcert's root certificate is not included by default in mainstream
browsers, email clients, etc. This means people to whom you send encrypted
email, or users who visit your SSL-enabled web server, will first have to
import CAcert's root certificate, or they will have to agree to pop-up
security warnings (which may look a little scary to non-techy users)"
I am preferably looking for a certificate without this limitation

-- Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
http://www.italymap.dk/
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/presentartiklar.html

I see there is much to read..

-- Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
http://www.italymap.dk/
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/ailocatori.html

Sybren Stuvel

Luigi Donatello Asero enlightened us with:
Well, you can read on their site
"Please note a general limitation is that, unlike long-time players
like Verisign, CAcert's root certificate is not included by default
in mainstream browsers, email clients, etc.

Yep, that's true. They're working on it, though. But, if you are
willing to pay big bucks just to prevent a popup or a single download,
that's all up to you.

Sybren