VS 2005

Austin Ziegler

Will Visual Studio 2005 work with Ruby, or does it not have plugins for
the syntax?

You can edit Ruby files with any version of Visual Studio, but it
doesn't understand Ruby's syntax. Probably won't ever, but I have been
surprised by Redmond before. Even if it does, it won't really know how
to "run" Ruby programs and certainly won't have the debugging
features. I don't recommend VS for working with Ruby.

-austin

Jeff Cohen

Gary said:
Will Visual Studio 2005 work with Ruby, or does it not have plugins for
the syntax?

I'm considering writing a VS2005 add-in that will let me write Ruby code
with syntax highlighting, and let me run an .rb file with output going
to a console window.

I haven't had enough time with VS2005 to find out how feasible this is
going to be. In VS2003 it would have been a major pain. I'm hoping
they've made the text editor more reusable and that there's some way to
override, say, the class view, but I'm not holding my breath.

What I really want is a way to embed just the text-editor window from VS
into my own app, because the text editing stuff is very good, but I
don't really want the rest of Visual Studio. So far I can't figure out
how to do that. (I've tried the Scite .Net control but it was buggy and
I never got it to work correctly.)

If there's actually anyone else who would be interested in using such an
add-in for VS2005, let me know so that I can let you know if/when I get
it finished.

Jeff
www.softiesonrails.com

Michael Trier

------=_Part_21069_13166534.1135970148197

Check out DXCore by Mark Miller and friends (creators of CodeRush and
Refactor!). It's a free library that makes developing add-ins much easier.

It can be found here:

http://www.devexpress.com/Downloads/NET/DXCore/

Michael Trier