VS.Net IDE and FrontPage Subwebs are Incompatible

Pete Mahoney

Our company has just started the move from ASP to ASP.Net. We have
just finished our first .Net projects, and are now in the process of
deploying them. We use FrontPage at our company to allow other
departments to add content to our intranet. Along with using
FrontPage comes lots of Subwebs for keeping track of permissions.

So here is the problem:
Now having these new ASP.Net projects finished I am looking to deploy
them on our server. The best idea seems to have one .Net web project
at the root of our server, and then add new apps to that project. The
problem is when I add a new .ASPX page under a Subweb on the server,
when I open VS.Net there is no way to see this page from the solution
explorer. So in order to add the page to the project I do a
File->Open->File and select the .ASPX page inside the subweb. Then
after the .ASPX page is open I right click on it and select "Move
(fileName) into project" and select the correct project. After I do
that a new folder shows up in the solution explorer with the name of
the Subweb that the file was located in. So there will be one Subweb
folder with that name, and one normal folder with that same name. I
can then build my project and everything works great, but once I close
the project (ie close VS.Net IDE) and reopen the project, the project
has no idea where the .ASPX page under the subweb is located. If the
project is rebuild without again adding this page manually back into
the project this page will not work.

Is there anyway to get the solution explorer inside VS.Net to show the
contents within a Subweb? If not is there anyway to add a .ASPX page
to a project if that .ASPX page is inside of a subweb, and keep that
reference to the .ASPX page around after you close and reopen your
project?

Thanks,

Pete

Kevin Spencer

Hi Pete,

Nothing incompatible here, except your understanding:

Subwebs don't only keep track of permissions. They are also web
applications. That means that each Subweb has its own application memory
space and doesn't share memory with any other Subweb or with the Root web.
So, the first thing you should know is, you can't spread one ASP.Net
application across Subwebs. You have to write a separate project for each
Subweb, and the root web.

Secondly, you didn't specify what program you're using to create your new
ASPX files, but I would recommend using Visual Studio.Net. You can edit the
files in any program you like, but VS.Net will keep track of what files you
add. On the other hand, you can click the "Show All Files" icon in tyhe
Solution Explorer to see any files in a Project folder that are not part of
the Project. Right-click the file and select "Add to Project" to add it to
the Project.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer