VS.NET is 10 times slower than VB6

Guest

This might be true, but overall VB .NET development time is much improved
over VB6 (Just typing VB6 makes me cringe).
I would much rather take the extra 5.5 seconds for the rare occasion I need
to use the debugger for the much improved development environment. Anyway,
I'm sure Microsoft will fix any slowness issues in future releases. At least
I will be more ready to port my app from 1.1 to 2.0 as opposed to porting
some COM object to 2.0 (which will be must more wasteful than 5.5 extra
seconds starting the debugger).

Overall, your post is quite pointless and naive. You will waste more time
developing in VB6 as opposed to VB .NET. The debugger start time should never
be a factor in your development time. I hope you don't have to start the
debugger so much that it makes that much of a difference.

Ken

Guest

There really is no such thing as ten times slower. Ten times slower means
that whatever speed it is, multiply that by ten and subtract. So if it
takes one minute in vb6, it will finish 9 minutes before you start in VS.Net.
Now that's real money!

Juan T. Llibre

You need a basic math seminar.

;-)

If "something" takes 100 minutes to be processed in one system,
and in another one it takes 10 minutes to be processed,
the second system processed that "something" 10 times faster
than the first system.

As a corollary, the first system processed
the "something" 10 times slower than the second.

"(e-mail address removed)"

Guest

I have to disagree. 10% of the time or 90% faster, but not 10 times faster.
Just think, if we were consultants being paid $50/hour to keep this
VB6/VS.net conversation thread going, somebody would be 10 times as stupid
for paying us to do it.

:)

Guest

Write better code and you'll need to launch into you're debugger less often
to check your app is working.

Kevin Spencer

Juan is correct. "10 times faster" indicates "faster by a factor of 10." A
factor, when multiplied by another factor, yields a result. Since we're
talking about speed, let's talk about MPH. Assuming that a car named
"VS.NET" is travelling at 10 MPH, and another car named "VB6" is travelling
at 100 MPH, 100 = 10 X 10. This makes 100 MPH faster by a factor of 10, or
10 times faster than 10 MPH, and makes the car named "VB6" 10 times faster
than the car named "VS.Net."

When talking about speed, you are always talking about a product of
WORK/TIME, usually expressed as a single number. In the case of movement,
you are talking about DISTANCE/TIME, as in MILES/HOUR, or more abstractly
"Miles Travelled/One Hour."

In this particular case, the discussion is regarding "Project
Compilation"/TIME. Assuming that, working with the same project, or at least
the same amount of work involved, VB6 compiles ProjectA in 6 seconds, and
VS.Net compiles ProjectA in 60 seconds, the speed of compilation would be
expressed as COMPILATION/SECOND, COMPILATION/MINUTE, or, more abstractly,
"ProjectA Compilation/6 Seconds" versus "ProjectA Compilation/60 Seconds."

So, let's assign an arbitrary "work size" value to ProjectA, and for the
sake of simplicity, we'll give it a value of 6, which is evenly divisible
into both 6 and 60. Again, for the sake of simplicity, let's say that our
time span interval to Minutes. There are 60 Seconds in a Minute. The
objective here is to obtain "ProjectA Compilation/ One Minute," so we need
to resolve the VB6's fraction's denominator to 1 Minute. We therefore
multiply both the numerator and the denominator by 10, resulting in "10
ProjectA Compilations/One Minute." Again, we want to resolve VS.Net's
fraction's denominator to 1 Minute. We therefore multiply both the numerator
and the denominator by 0.1, resulting in "1 ProjectA Compilation/ One
Minute." We may now express the speed of both compilers as a measure of
"Compilations/Minute," or, more simply, CPM.

Expressed in this way, we may say that the OP made a proposition that VB6
compiles at 10 CPM, and VS.Net compiles at 1 CPM. As 10 = 10X1, we may say
that the OP made a proposition that VB.Net is "10 times faster" than VS.Net,
or "faster by a factor of 10" than VS.Net.

In conclusion, Juan is right; you are wrong. It is not a matter of opinion,
with which you may agree or disagree (as in "I have to disagree."). It is a
matter of mathematical fact. You DO need a basic math seminar. And you have
now had your introductory lecture. If you wish to prosper as a programmer, I
suggest you take Juan's advice. Programming is all about math. It is highly
abstract, but it is math. And _nothing else_.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
I'd rather be a hammer than a nail.

"(e-mail address removed)"

Guest

Think a user authentication system with ASP . We were writing all this code
ourselves for examples design, SQL, ASP codes. But after ASP.NET 2.0 now
everything is readymade . So this shows when microsoft do something for us it
will make bed effects to debugging time because first it should change the
all codes with old ones.we are going far away from the core when we use new
technologies. What is our goal is to make our food ready quickly even
debugging is slow...
Thanks.

Rob Nicholson

Write better code and you'll need to launch into you're debugger less
often
to check your app is working.

Hear, hear - said something similar elsewhere.

Kevin Spencer

Thank you Parag! :)

Math and Logic are probably the first 2 loves of my life. I still have quite
a bit of math left to master, however. My goal is to master all math that
now exists by the end of my life!

--

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP