w3c specs

yb

Hi,

I've been reading through w3c recommendations for DOM Level 2, e.g.
Core, Html, Views, Styles, etc.

I can understand what the interfaces define, but it is sometimes
unclear or hard to find exactly how these are mapped onto objects.
There is the language binding section, but it doesn't define what
interfaces the document object, for example, makes available.

Is there some agreed upon mapping, showing exactly which interfaces
each object (should) implement?
Or perhaps a website that attempts to show interfaces for each object.

RobG

yb said:
Hi,

I've been reading through w3c recommendations for DOM Level 2, e.g.
Core, Html, Views, Styles, etc.

I can understand what the interfaces define, but it is sometimes
unclear or hard to find exactly how these are mapped onto objects.
There is the language binding section, but it doesn't define what
interfaces the document object, for example, makes available.

The specification itself is language neutral, the document interface is
specified here:

<URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-HTML/html.html#ID-26809268>

Appendix D of the DOM 2 spec is the ECMAScript Language Binding,
including the HTMLDocument interface:

<URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-HTML/ecma-script-binding.html>

I agree that the spec can be hard to decipher and use, but
specifications take a lot of effort to get right and I think in the
whole they are pretty good (though not perfect). There are other
resources (see below).

Is there some agreed upon mapping, showing exactly which interfaces
each object (should) implement?
Or perhaps a website that attempts to show interfaces for each object.

The Mozilla Web Developer documentation is here:

<URL:http://www.mozilla.org/docs/web-developer/>

It contains lots of links to stuff to do with web development. The Geko
DOM reference is here:

<URL:http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Gecko_DOM_Reference>

It seems to have been changed to a wiki (though you need an id &
password to edit it) and has been updated quite a bit lately - it seems
to be work in progress.

Microsoft has a DHTML reference here:

<URL:http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...hor/dhtml/reference/dhtml_reference_entry.asp>

If you have any questions about specific things, just ask here. :)