w3wp.exe High CPU Utilization

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by mcollier, Mar 11, 2005.

  1. mcollier

    mcollier Guest

    I am experiencing high CPU utilization with my ASP.NET application.
    The w3wp.exe process uses 75%-80% CPU for about 10 seconds. I notice
    this when the application first starts up, which I can partially
    understand since ASP.NET compiles the application on the first access.
    However, I also notice the high CPU usage by w3wp.exe after long
    periods of inactivity. For example, if I stop using the site for 30
    minutes, and then come back to the site, I see the CPU usage spike
    again. As long as I continue to use the site, it is very fast.

    I'm using Windows Server 2003. I have not changed any configuration
    settings in ASP.NET or the .NET Framework (i.e. the machine.config
    file). I have several (less than 10) assemblies in my application's
    \bin directory.

    I put simple log statements (to the Windows event log) in my
    application's Application_Start() method. Work performed there takes
    approximatley 3 seconds. So far I am unable to determine where the
    remaining approximately 7 second delay comes from.

    Any suggestions on places to look to determine and reduce the
    application's start-up time would be greatly appreciated.

    Thank You

    mcollier, Mar 11, 2005

  2. Hello

    The default IIS 6 setting for an application is shutdown worker processes
    after being idle for 20 minutes. So when a new request comes after 30
    minutes of being idle a you said, IIS will start and initialized the worker
    process again. It will JIT compile every method in your application at first
    access. So you will experience a great delay on first access. You can change
    this setting (and other performance settings) from IIS manager, under
    Application Pools.

    Best regard,
    Sherif

    Sherif ElMetainy, Mar 11, 2005

  3. mcollier

    mcollier Guest

    Why does it have to JIT it each time the process is started? I noticed
    what appear to be compiled versions of the pages under the
    "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET Files"
    directory. Wouldn't these pages be used when the worker process
    restarts?

    Do you know of a MSDN, or similar, site that discusses this process? I
    would like to learn more about how this works.

    Thanks!

    mcollier, Mar 14, 2005
  4. one reason is that a restart may mean that files have changed. if this is
    the case, then some assemblies need to be recompiled and the jit cache
    should be flushed accordingly if the methods come from these dirty
    assemblies

    --
    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney

    Alvin Bruney [ASP.NET MVP], Mar 14, 2005
  5. Hello

    The compiled in in Temp ASP.NET files are IL dlls not native dlls they have
    to be JIT compiled at runtime. The JIT compiler compiles the code to memory
    and doesn't save a copy of the native code to disk. So all JIT compiler's
    work is lost when the process is terminated.
    The performance hit when the process is restarted is not only due to JIT. It
    is also because of the process itself loading.

    As I said the process restarts in your case were due to 20 minutes idle
    timeout. You can simply avoid them by modifying your IIS settings. In a
    production scenario, the traffic is usually higer such that the worker
    process should never be idle for more than 20 minutes.

    Best regards,
    Sherif

    Sherif ElMetainy, Mar 14, 2005
  6. mcollier

    mcollier Guest

    Is the default shutting down of the worker process just to conserve
    system resources? The high CPU utilization from w3wp.exe likely due to
    the JIT and reloading?

    I'll need to find some good documentation on this process. Mainly so
    that I can point my colleagues to it too.

    mcollier, Mar 17, 2005
  7. mcollier

    jeandemo

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hello,
    This problem showed up for me when the Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange Version 6.0.x was installed. It did not only affect this program, but is also affected ASP, Brightmail, and Microsoft Exchange directly. In fact, I became aware of the problem when Microsoft Exchange started failing intermittently. I was actually quite confused because the problems would show up in the event logs as an ASP problem, a Brightmail problem, or a Microsoft Exchange problem. I spent many a sleepless night chasing down those particular problems only to learn that Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange Version 6.0.x uses all these programs to work. That said, I have since patched the Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange Version 6.0.x to 6.5.x and it seems to have settled down completely. I hope I have been able to help. Sincerely,

    jeandemo, Apr 13, 2011