wanted($): mac and linux python gui coders for porting

Mark Hahn

(I apologize in advance if this is not an appropriate posting)

I have written a simple windows shareware app, EzPicMailer, in Python 2.3,
wxPython 2.4.1, and PIL 1.1.4 that lets computer novices find photo files,
edit them, and mail them, all in one simple app. Everyone is encouraged to
check out my beta version at http://EzPicMailer.com.

I wrote it to be cross-platform except for a small amout of windows code to
do the system beep and to find the desktop and home folders.

Now I need a Mac programmer and a Linux programmer to port to these
environments for me. I'm new to shareware but I'm guessing that paying 10%
of gross license receipts would be fair. I put in close to 200 hours into
the app and I'm assuming that 20 hours to do a decent looking port would be
about right, which gives 10% of the effort. Let me know if I'm off-base
here.

You will also be responsible for a second line of support for your platform.
In other words you will need to fix problems particular to your platform to
keep your royalty flow. You will not have to talk to customers though.
That is what I mean by second-line.

If you are interested, please tell me about yourself and point me to some of
your existing work with GUI's.

Steve Holden

Mark Hahn said:
[...]

Mark:

I don't think anyone would complain about your post. You might, however, get
a better response if you create a SourceForge project and add to the "help
wanted" list there. People do scour that list from time to time. You'll also
learn a lot about CVS :)

Good luck with your project.

regards

Steve Holden

Oops, you said "shareware". Guess the SourceForge route wouldn't be for you,
then. Sorry!

regards

Tim Roberts

Mark Hahn said:
I have written a simple windows shareware app, EzPicMailer, in Python 2.3,
wxPython 2.4.1, and PIL 1.1.4 that lets computer novices find photo files,
edit them, and mail them, all in one simple app. Everyone is encouraged to
check out my beta version at http://EzPicMailer.com.
Now I need a Mac programmer and a Linux programmer to port to these
environments for me.

wxPython works identically in all three environments. I'd be surprised if
you had to make more than trivial changes. Plus, if you just released your
source code, others would be happy to make the changes for you, in exchange
for readme credit.
I'm new to shareware but I'm guessing that paying 10%
of gross license receipts would be fair. I put in close to 200 hours into
the app and I'm assuming that 20 hours to do a decent looking port would be
about right, which gives 10% of the effort. Let me know if I'm off-base
here.

The problem is that 10% of your shareware revenue stream is likely to come
to approximately $1 per month.

Further, the shareware revenue stream from your Linux port is almost
certainly going to be $0 per month. Linux users do not pay for software
tools like this. There's just too much outstanding stuff available for
free.

Lothar Scholz

Tim Roberts said:
The problem is that 10% of your shareware revenue stream is likely to come
to approximately $1 per month.

Further, the shareware revenue stream from your Linux port is almost
certainly going to be $0 per month. Linux users do not pay for software
tools like this. There's just too much outstanding stuff available for
free.

With his marketing skills it will be $0 even for the windows version.
And with a connection that gives me 2Kb/sec on a fast DSL line even
the download will be 0.

Lothar Scholz

Mark Hahn said:
Whose skills are you reffering to?

Yours. Maybe a website is on the way, instead of the current simple
page.

By the way: The program throws an exception when i want to add a
picture.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 378, in OnMouseDown
File "<string>", line 695, in OnAddPhoto
File "C:\Installer\EzPicMailer\buildEzPicMailer\out1.pyz/photochooser_dialog",
line 434, in choose_photo
File "C:\Installer\EzPicMailer\buildEzPicMailer\out1.pyz/photochooser_dialog",
line 392, in __init__
File "C:\Installer\EzPicMailer\buildEzPicMailer\out1.pyz/photochooser_dialog",
line 288, in set_path
File "C:\Installer\EzPicMailer\buildEzPicMailer\out1.pyz/photochooser_dialog",
line 208, in PaintNow
File "C:\Installer\EzPicMailer\buildEzPicMailer\out1.pyz/photochooser_dialog",
line 222, in paint
File "C:\Installer\EzPicMailer\buildEzPicMailer\out1.pyz/photochooser_dialog",
line 137, in get_bitmap_bigpath
File "<string>", line 522, in save_datastore
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'data/app_datastore.pkl'

Mark Hahn

I'm not going to be marketing it. Discussions are under way with several
"re-distributors" who would do the actual marketing. Apparently there is
money to be made in the $10 "throw-away-money" market. Anyway, I just write
it, I don't care who buys it or why. In any case, my understanding is that
the intended market is friends and relatives of computer-savvy people, not
the computer-savvy people themselves. You may have a big dsl pipe but I'll
bet your parents don't.

As to whether linux people would use it, that's beyond my understanding.
Are there non-computer-savvy people using linux who had their pc set up by
others, who could benefit from gut-simple software? I know there are
non-gurus using macs. I gave my mom a mac and she is really challenged by
AOL. This app would be great for her.

As to your problem: What version are you using? I've been fixing bugs like
crazy the last few days. I think it is settling down now. Try the latest
version. If you still have problems let me know.

P.S. If you don't mind, extend the testing all the way to using PayPal. I
promise that I'm reversing all charges at the end of beta testing. (I know
that may sound suspicious, but I really am honest :)

Lothar Scholz said:
[...]

IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'data/app_datastore.pkl'[/QUOTE]