    event.What would you advice me to do - IFrames + client scripts or
    something else?
    Thanks in advance.

    Bogosian, Jan 6, 2004

  2. It depends on how much your content is going to change. If you are going to
    be loading entire pages, then the easiest way is to use IFrames. If you
    aren't changing much, then you might consider using client-side scripts to
    fetch the content from a web service and then inject into the InnerHtml of
    whatever section you want to populate. Caution here, however, as this is a
    very brittle approach: if scripts are disabled your application will break,
    and if you are doing XML manipulation on the client you will find
    differences in support among the various browsers.

    Chris Jackson, Jan 6, 2004

  3. Bogosian

    Bogosian Guest

    Thanks for paying attention Chris.The idea with the InnerHtml sounds
    good because there are just 5 fields on the page which will change
    when the user interacts with the cache machine.Could you tell me more
    about this idea.More specifically is there a way to get all the data
    in only one request to the server and separate it on the client
    machine because all the information for the five fields is related and
    can be calculated in one and the same portion of code and returned in
    one response.Can you recall any places on the Internet where i can
    read more about client-side scripts(i've only dealt with jscript a
    little) and interacting with web seervices?

    Bogosian, Jan 7, 2004
  4. Bogosian

    Bogosian Guest

    I forgot to mention that i want some of these fields to contain jpeg
    images - so is there a way the web service return 3-4 images to the
    script which are afterwards displayed on the page?

    Bogosian, Jan 7, 2004
  5. For fetching 5 text fields, that's easy to do in one hit. You can grab a
    single XML document that holds all five fields as five XML elements. You can
    parse this on the client using the XML handling capabilities of the
    platform. Here it gets a bit tricky, because I only know of ways to support
    this in IE 4.01+ and Netscape 6.0+, so if you have to support Netscape 4 or
    IE 3, you will have problems. Just create an object of type DOMDocument (I
    typically iterate through MSXML2.DOMDocument.4.0, MSXML2.DOMDocument.3.0,
    MSXML2.DOMDocument, MSXML.DOMDocument, and Microsoft.XmlDom until I get a
    successful object creation) for IE. For Netscape/Mozilla, it is
    document.implementation.createDocument(...). You can do this asynchronously
    by setting the onreadystatechange (IE) or onload (Netscape) property of this
    object, and then in your async return handler just use XML functions to get
    that data (for example, getElementsByTagName) and then pump it into the
    innerHTML property.

    As for places to learn, I picked up most of my JavaScript from SDK docs and
    one of the O'Reilly books (whose name I can't recall, as it's on my
    bookshelf at home) so others probably have better recommendations in this
    regard.

    Finally, regarding images, you can always set up an aspx site whose return
    type is the image type that you want, and then pass back images dynamically
    based on whatever criteria you are using to select them. Alternately, you
    can store the direct link to the images, and then hit them. If you want a
    single traversal, you may want to just have an HTML page containing all 5
    fields (in tags with a unique ID) and the images you need, which you can
    then fetch using XMLHTTP and then parse using the DHTML DOM.

    Chris Jackson, Jan 7, 2004