web chatting box.

Garg

Hi,

I am doing a POC on chatting box so that our user can do an online
chat with support.
I dont know what all technology it needs and from where to start.

I appreciated if anyone can just give some guidelines to start from.

Thanks in advance,
Tarun

John B. Matthews

For some reason, my one-time favorite didn't make the first page:

<http://www.jabber.org/>

Is that a Java product?[/QUOTE]

No, it's an IM hosting site, and a careless link on my part. The jabberd
server is written in C/C++; I'd done some related Java client
development and conflated the two.
Huh. That is strange.

I checked the links for utility and applicability but not for
comprehensiveness.

I confess, I still get a kick out of the lmgtfy animation.
Good catch.

Yes, it points to these:

jabberd 1.x: <http://jabberd.org/>
jabberd 2.x: <http://jabberd2.xiaoka.com/>

which are the upstream sites for linux/unix repositories. I was using
the 1.x server at that time, and it was particularly easy to install
using apt-get on Ubuntu or port install on Mac OS. The DBMS dependency
is configurable; I typically used MySQL or PostgreSQL, but at least one
site used Firebird. I don't recall finding a client that could _not_
connect, which made debugging ours _much_ easier. It's not Java, but
it's solid.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

John B. Matthews said:
It's not Java, but it's solid.

What’s the difference between the truth table for “but†and “and�

:)