Web client software factory

Andy B.

I am looking at using web client software factory to create my projects.
When I make all of the data access layers, is it better to put them all into
foundation libraries or include them with the business logic libraries? I'm
thinking probably in the business logic libraries because then all the parts
to a single feature are bundled together. Figured I would get others ideas
on this before I actually did the way I want and found out it was wrong. I
am the only one working on the project and there wont be anyone else working
on it either.

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

I am as familiar with the web client software factory as I should be before
commenting, but it soudns like foundation libraries are framework libraries.
I generally divide into layers: UI, business and data. The models are stuck
in data, even though they are really more business in many ways, as it
creates a clean dependency tree. Data access is always in the data tier.
Business is largely classes to deal with business rules, sans validation
rules on models (if the model is independent, it is very portable). Models
do not have behavior, other than validation checks, as that reduces
testability.

Data Access belongs in its own libraries. If not, you destroy some of the
reusability of the library. But, I generally think of framework libraries as
those that span multiple projects and your data access is normally
application specific. It is not impossible, but rare, to find the exact data
needs across all of the applications in an enterprise. This is mostly
because it is rare to find a single database for an enterprise, I would
imagine. ;-)

Hope this helps.