Web.Config ? for the experts!

Deasun

Good morning,

We have connection strings in our apps web.config file in
the apps folder. We would like to make one config file
where all our apps can get the info from.
?'s;
1] Do we have to use the machine.config for this ?
2] Could we create a web.config file and have our all
projects point to it ? (if so how would we do this? :) )
3] For #2 above if it can be done, can we then put this
file in a common folder that all the apps can reach ?

Thanks
Deasun

Deasun

Thanks for the reply.
Thats what I was thinking too. just taught I would ask
and see what others were doing.
Thanks
I think you would probably have to use method #1.

Deasun said:
Good morning,

We have connection strings in our apps web.config file in
the apps folder. We would like to make one config file
where all our apps can get the info from.
?'s;
1] Do we have to use the machine.config for this ?
2] Could we create a web.config file and have our all
projects point to it ? (if so how would we do this? :) )
3] For #2 above if it can be done, can we then put this
file in a common folder that all the apps can reach ?

Thanks
Deasun

.

John Timney \(Microsoft MVP\)

You would probably need to use machine.config, as its the settings machine
wide. You could also use a separate config file of your own, accessable via
a DLL that is GAC registered. This would be accesible from anywhere in the
machine also, and thus the config file could be centralised. Method 1 is a
lot easier, but take a back up of your machine config before you go messing
with it.

--
Regards

John Timney (Microsoft ASP.NET MVP)