Web.config problems

Toby Riley

I have a Web application that has at the root level a logon page that work
off forms authentication. Works no problems. However i have a subdirectory
/mobile of which i want to provide a separate logon page and authentication
that overrides the root web application without making it an application in
it own right.

I have tried using another web.config file in the subdirectory but it just
causes an error.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

(e-mail address removed)

Michal A. Valasek

| I have a Web application that has at the root level a logon page that work
| off forms authentication. Works no problems. However i have a subdirectory
| /mobile of which i want to provide a separate logon page and
authentication
| that overrides the root web application without making it an application
in
| it own right.

AFAIK, this is not possible. I am using the following solution: As login
page I am using the mobile version. If request is not made from mobile
device, I'll redirect user to normal login page.

Earl Beaman[MS]

Hi Toby,

Michael is correct. If you want a subfolder to do it's own authentication,
it must be an application.
You can certainly have web.configs in each of the folders, whether it's an
app or not, but there are certain sections that can only be put into an
application, such as authentication. As you have found out, a web.config
that has one of these sections and is not in an application will cause a
config error.

Michael seems to have a good workaround for this, I encourage you to give
his approach a try.

Thanks,
Earl Beaman
Microsoft, ASP.NET

This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
rights.