Web Custom Controls vs User Controls

Joel Barsotti

I like being able to create UserControls by writing alot of the HTML out and
not having to generate it programmatically.

But I need to be able to use this control in multiple web applications.

Is there an equivalent to the .ascx page for web custom controls?

Also I've created a situation where many of my controls use class objects
that I've created for my application and some of those objects contain
controls.
ie
User class contains an address class
The address class is a parent for 3 different types of addresses and defines
a function to return a specific usercontrol for address input.
And so these usercontrols use address objects.

So I've got a class that uses the control and the control that uses the
class, if I separate them into two distinct projects(ie a web custom control
class), how do I setup the build dependencies to accommodate this?

Victor Garcia Aprea [MVP]

Hi Joel,

There are a few different techniques (each one with its own cons) to make
UserControls work across applications. I don't have links handy but google a
bit and you should find them.

--
Victor Garcia Aprea
Microsoft MVP | ASP.NET