web hosting, first hand experiences?

Daniel Fetchinson

Hi folks, I know this comes up regularly but the thing is that the
quality of service changes also quite regularly with many of the
hosting companies. What's currently the best option for shared hosting
of a turbogears application? I'm thinking of dreamhost and webfaction
does anyone have any recent experiences with these two? Or others?

Cheers,
Daniel

Roy Smith

Daniel Fetchinson said:
Hi folks, I know this comes up regularly but the thing is that the
quality of service changes also quite regularly with many of the
hosting companies. What's currently the best option for shared hosting
of a turbogears application? I'm thinking of dreamhost and webfaction
does anyone have any recent experiences with these two? Or others?

Cheers,
Daniel

I've got an account on dreamhost, from which I host a couple of very low
traffic sites built on Drupal. They seem like good folks, and provide
full shell access. For me, that was the differentiator; most places
don't allow shell access on their shared hosting machines.

The downside to dreamhost is they seem to overload their shared hosting
machines. Performance can be sucky. Un clear how much of that is host
overloading and how much of that is simply that Drupal is a pig :)