Web Setup projects - how to allow install multiple times?

Luther Miller

I've created a web setup project that works great for installing an
ASP.NET application to a virtual directory on a server.

I'd like to be able to use the same setup program to install multiple
instances - e.g., DEV, TEST, etc., as I see fit.

However, when once instance has already been installed, the web setup
project will not install further instances; instead, I get a message
that it has already been installed and I must use Control Panel
Add/Remove programs to remove it before I can install it again.

Is there a way to override this, so that I can run it multiple times
for install different virtual folders? I am sick of using Copy Project
to do this becuase there are other steps that I have ecapsulated in
the web setup project...

David Guyer [MS]

This is how Windows Installer is designed. What you would need to do is
create another setup.msi for each instance with a different UpgradeCode and
ProductCode, so that you could install and remove each independant instance.