webcomponent for html hidden input?

me

I want to do something like this:

<input type="hidden" name="x" value="<%=Request.Form.Get("y")%>">

...but visual studio wont open design mode with such
inlined code in the apsx page. How do i programmebly
set the value of a hidden form field in asp.net?
I cant find any webcomponent in VS that renders into
such a html element.

The page is part of a wizard (a "multistep form"), where
control is transferred from one aspx to another using
Server.Transfer(). Along the way I need to store some
inputs that I pick up from the client. I dont want to
use Session variables that last for an entire client
session and I dont want to use database either.