weird design

Davids

hi,
I cannot understand how some .Net ASP pages are designed. There are so many
blogs for example that have subpages like
http://xxxxx.net/blog/archive/2004/11/18/68.aspx

which ought to mean they have a seperate .aspx page for each and every blog
entry? Why isn't this just a simple displayblog.aspx page taking parameters
and loading from a database???

Joerg Jooss

Davids said:
hi,
I cannot understand how some .Net ASP pages are designed. There are
so many blogs for example that have subpages like
http://xxxxx.net/blog/archive/2004/11/18/68.aspx

which ought to mean they have a seperate .aspx page for each and
every blog entry? Why isn't this just a simple displayblog.aspx page
taking parameters and loading from a database???

These sites certainly use URL rewriting, e.g.
/blog/archive/2004/11/18/68.aspx
becomes
/blog/displayblog.aspx?location=archive&year=2044&month=11&day=18&entry=68
(note that I made up these parameter names).

Cheers,

Alejandro Penate-Diaz

And where exactly is the URL rewriting done, in the
/blog/archive/2004/11/18/68.aspx OnLoad() event? and then a Redirect? Does
that means that there is a real /blog/archive/2004/11/18/68.aspx page?

Alejandro.

Alejandro Penate-Diaz

I suppose it can be done using global.asax OnBeginRequest or something like
that.