Where does programming begin?

Tom Impelluso

May I ask for opinions?

I have programmed in FORTRAN, C and just a bit of C++ (enough
to scare the hell out of me - but that is not the issue).

I now hear people say:
I program in matlab.
I program in SecondLife.
I program in <insert some established program here: one that enables user
manipulation or interaction>

One person, I recall, from years back, told me he programmed
in Inventor (that older object oriented API to OpenGL from SGI).

When I asked him about it, I thought that he had meant he compiled
the codes himself. Instead, he created the objects in a CAD package
and read them into an already established scene graph.

So I am curious to know if there is some standard definition of
what "programming" means.

Just curious....

tom

Victor Bazarov

Tom said:
May I ask for opinions?

I have programmed in [...]

So I am curious to know if there is some standard definition of
what "programming" means.

Just curious....

Did you know there is 'comp.programming' newsgroup? You might
want to ask there, since your question does not seem to be C++
specific.

Jim Langston

Tom Impelluso said:
May I ask for opinions?

I have programmed in FORTRAN, C and just a bit of C++ (enough
to scare the hell out of me - but that is not the issue).

I now hear people say:
I program in matlab.
I program in SecondLife.
I program in <insert some established program here: one that enables user
manipulation or interaction>

One person, I recall, from years back, told me he programmed
in Inventor (that older object oriented API to OpenGL from SGI).

When I asked him about it, I thought that he had meant he compiled
the codes himself. Instead, he created the objects in a CAD package
and read them into an already established scene graph.

So I am curious to know if there is some standard definition of
what "programming" means.

Here ya go. Definition of a Real Programmer.
http://www.csd.uwo.ca/~magi/persona...ience/Real Programmers Don't Each Quiche.html