Where does programming begin?

Discussion in 'C++' started by Tom Impelluso, Sep 24, 2007.

  1. May I ask for opinions?

    I have programmed in FORTRAN, C and just a bit of C++ (enough
    to scare the hell out of me - but that is not the issue).

    I now hear people say:
    I program in matlab.
    I program in SecondLife.
    I program in <insert some established program here: one that enables user
    manipulation or interaction>

    One person, I recall, from years back, told me he programmed
    in Inventor (that older object oriented API to OpenGL from SGI).

    When I asked him about it, I thought that he had meant he compiled
    the codes himself. Instead, he created the objects in a CAD package
    and read them into an already established scene graph.

    So I am curious to know if there is some standard definition of
    what "programming" means.

    Just curious....

    tom

    Tom Impelluso, Sep 24, 2007

  2. Did you know there is 'comp.programming' newsgroup? You might
    want to ask there, since your question does not seem to be C++
    specific.

    Victor Bazarov, Sep 24, 2007

  3. Suffering from the C-hacker syndrome, are we?

    Juha Nieminen, Sep 25, 2007
  4. Tom Impelluso

    Jim Langston Guest

    Here ya go. Definition of a Real Programmer.
    http://www.csd.uwo.ca/~magi/persona...ience/Real Programmers Don't Each Quiche.html

    Jim Langston, Sep 25, 2007