where is javaee sdk? newbie doubt

jimgardener

hi
I am a newcomer to java ee.I installed from sun's java site
'java_ee_sdk-6u1-windows.exe'.It installed to a directory called
'glassfishv3'.
I understand that glassfish is an appserver.Where is the jee sdk?I
could not find the javax.servlet.jar..etc.. files in this folder.I
need that to compile some code that imports HttpServletRequest.

Can someone help me find the sdk?

Lew

hi
I am a newcomer to java [sic] ee.I installed from sun's [sic] java [sic] site
'java_ee_sdk-6u1-windows.exe'.It installed to a directory called
'glassfishv3'.
I understand that glassfish [sic] is an appserver.Where is the jee [sic] sdk [sic]?I
could not find the javax.servlet.jar..etc.. files in this folder.I
need that to compile some code that imports HttpServletRequest.

Can someone help me find the sdk?

GlassFish is what they mean by the "Java EE SDK". Others are JBoss, Geronimo,

Look in $GLASSFISH_HOME/glassfish/modules/ (where $GLASSFISH_HOME is the
installation directory).

Donkey Hottie

hi
I am a newcomer to java [sic] ee.I installed from sun's [sic] java
[sic] site
'java_ee_sdk-6u1-windows.exe'.It installed to a directory called
'glassfishv3'.
I understand that glassfish [sic] is an appserver.Where is the jee
[sic] sdk [sic]?I
could not find the javax.servlet.jar..etc.. files in this folder.I
need that to compile some code that imports HttpServletRequest.

Can someone help me find the sdk?

GlassFish is what they mean by the "Java EE SDK". Others are JBoss,
Geronimo, ...

Look in $GLASSFISH_HOME/glassfish/modules/ (where $GLASSFISH_HOME is the
installation directory).

If I recall it right, it is javaee.jar under GlassFish that contains the
public API for SDK. The jar name may be different under other containers
like JBoss.

However, if you use an IDE, it should have the proper API so apps can be
developed. Just start a Java EE project and you are good to go.

gwoodhouse

Suns Java Site?

Java is owned by oracle now so the site you download the sdk from
should be plastered with the evil that is oracle.

I would suggest that what you may need is Java JDK and a seperate
server such as Tomcat which is more standard that Glassfish. The more
common the server you work with the more help you'll find on google.

Graeme

Lew

Suns Java Site?

Java is owned by oracle [sic] now so the site you download the sdk [sic] from
should be plastered with the evil that is oracle [sic].

Tomayto, tomahto.

These days when people say "Sun site" they mean "that part of Oracle
that used to be Sun site", as you well know.

It's a perfectly valid, if informal way to refer to that subset of the
Oracle web presence.

As to Oracle being evil, "Judge not lest ye be judged."
I would suggest that what you may need is Java JDK and a seperate
server such as Tomcat which is more standard that Glassfish. The more
common the server you work with the more help you'll find on google.

Terrible suggestion. There's nothing particularly "nonstandard" about
GlassFish - it works mostly the same as all the other Java EE
application servers out there. Yes, there are differences, but mostly
one of interface details, not core concepts or programming concepts,
or even libraries if you code to "java.*" and "javax.*" packages.
Tomcat is an excellent product, but it's standardness is not of much
use if you want dependency injection, EJBs, JMS queues, inbuilt
JavaMail, and other enterprise features not present in Tomcat but
supported by the big-iron server products.

Furthermore, the market demand for "just Tomcat" is a small part of
the job market for Java developers, one very large part of which is
enterprise programming, and those guys use GlassFish, WebSphere,
WebLogic, JBoss and others. You'd better have skills in platforms
that go beyond Tomcat if you want the big bucks.

Arne Vajhøj

I would suggest that what you may need is Java JDK and a seperate
server such as Tomcat which is more standard that Glassfish. The more
common the server you work with the more help you'll find on google.

Given that Glassfish is Java EE certfied, then it is 100% Java EE.

It is rather difficult to be more than 100% standard compliant!

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

I am a newcomer to java ee.I installed from sun's java site
'java_ee_sdk-6u1-windows.exe'.It installed to a directory called
'glassfishv3'.
I understand that glassfish is an appserver.Where is the jee sdk?I
could not find the javax.servlet.jar..etc.. files in this folder.I
need that to compile some code that imports HttpServletRequest.

Can someone help me find the sdk?

It the old days there were a Java EE SDK (actually J2EE SDK).

It contained the libraries and a joke of a demo server.

Now SUN/Oracle distribute a real server Glassfish.

And it is the SDK.

lib/javaee.jar contains the classes that you need to
build against.

Small warning: you can build against it, but DO NOT try
to distribute javaee.jar with your code into an app server -
you may see lots of problems then - the app servers already
have those classes in classpath!

Arne