    translator? Perl has a2p. E.g. today I wonder how to do '{print
    $1}', well with a2p I know how to do it in perl, but with python I am
    supposed to hunker down with the manuals.

    Dan Jacobson, Jul 26, 2003

  2. Dan> An old dog can't learn new tricks, so where's the a2py awk to python
    Dan> translator? Perl has a2p.

    Sorry, Python doesn't have such a beast. There's never been enough demand.

    Dan> E.g. today I wonder how to do '{print $1}', well with a2p I know
    Dan> how to do it in perl, but with python I am supposed to hunker down
    Dan> with the manuals.

    Python doesn't have the implicit looping and splitting into fields that awk
    has, so you need to loop over the input and split the fields yourself:

    import sys
    for line in sys.stdin:
    print line.split()[0] # == '{print $1}'

    There's also no global field separator variable. Suppose I wanted to print
    the first field in each row of my passwd file. The split() method, when
    called as above with no arguments, will split the string on any runs of
    whitespace. If given a string parameter it will split the string on that
    string. Here's some input and output pasted from an interactive session:
    ... print line.split(":")[0]
    root
    bin
    daemon
    adm
    lp
    ... and so on ...

    Obviously, Python is not as concise as awk for the sorts of things awk is
    good at, but then Python is good for a lot more things than awk is. ;-)

    Skip

    Skip Montanaro, Jul 26, 2003

  3. Dan Jacobson

    bthoren Guest

    Why translate? PyAWK may do what you need:

    http://pyawk.sourceforge.net/

    I don't have any direct experiences with it, but it does look
    interesting.

    bthoren, Jul 28, 2003