    well basically i´m asking for your help if u please show me the way to
    understand java from the beggining.

    Thank you lots

    Darpa, May 19, 2006

  2. Darpa

    Joe Guest

    Hi Darpa,

    I would probably start with a text editor of your choice (I like
    EditPlus) and use the programs like javac that come with your jdk
    distribution to compile your programs.
    IDE's (Eclipse, NetBeans, etc) are a tough thing to understand if you
    dont really know what you are doing yet.

    Also a good beginner site is that'll teach you from the very beginning
    is:

    http://library.thinkquest.org/11537/

    --Joe

    P.S. Being a beginner doesnt make you dumb.

    Joe, May 19, 2006

  3. Darpa

    Chris Smith Guest

    Hmm. Is your problem with Eclipse, or with Java programming? It's not
    clear from what you wrote.

    If Java, then the Java Tutorial (Google will find it) is very good.
    Also, you'll want a good book at some point. If you've programmed
    before, check out "Java Precisely", and expect to spend a lot more time
    than the 140-page length of the book would lead you to believe.
    Otherwise, Bruce Eckel's "Thinking in Java" has always been a good place
    to start. Don't try to get by without a book, ESPECIALLY if this is
    your first programming language. Books are certainly cheap, anyway,
    compared to your time.

    If Eclipse, then I don't know a good source to learn it better. It's
    always seemed pretty straight-forward to me, although I'm still
    constantly learning more that I don't know about the more exotic
    capabilities and available plugins. You could try asking specific
    questions.

    In either case: (a) there isn't really a "mood" that will help
    everything make sense; you just have to learn it; and (b) don't say that
    you're dumb. That kind of psychological defense mechanism prevents you
    from taking chances or trying things out, and it will cause you to spend
    ten times as long learning as you could otherwise get away with. I'm
    sure you aren't any more dumb than most people learning a new language.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation

    Chris Smith, May 19, 2006
  4. Darpa

    Geert-Jan Guest

    Hi Darpa,

    Have you checked out the http://java.sun.com/ website? They have a
    section specifically tailored for newcomers to the Java platform. It can
    be found at:

    http://java.sun.com/developer/onlineTraining/new2java/index.html

    Also, you can find on line the book: "the Java Tutorial" at:

    http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/index.html

    This book is now in it's third edition, and I found it very good.

    Both links can also be found from the learning section in left-side menu
    of the http://java.sun.com/ website. If you haven't downloaded the
    Java JDK (the Java Development Kit) yet, you can get it also there.

    Have Fun!

    Geert-Jan, May 19, 2006
  5. Darpa

    Darpa Guest

    WELL THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR PATIENCE, HOPEFULLY I WILL BE ASKING MORE
    RELEVANT THINGS IN TIMES TO COME

    LOVE

    Darpa, May 19, 2006
  6. Darpa

    josh.s17 Guest

    Not so sure about this site....

    http://library.thinkquest.org/11537/

    This is a direct quote from it

    "JavaScript - it is Java that is put directly into HTML, and does some
    really amazing things."

    josh.s17, May 19, 2006
  7. Darpa

    Chris Smith Guest

    Indeed, that page doesn't seem to be too awfully interested in being
    correct. The same page gets it closer to right regarding JavaScript in
    a different section, but I'm nto sure what to trust. To paraphrase John
    Rawls, truth is the first virtue of knowledge; knowledge, no matter how
    elegant or intuitive, ought to be abandoned if it is not true.

    I'd forget that site.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation

    Chris Smith, May 19, 2006
  8. Hi,

    are you a beginner at Java only or is it your very first programming
    language? If the latter is true (which I assume), I would strongly
    recommend you to reconsider your decision to chose Java as first
    programming language.
    Maybe some guys here would have me killed for that, but in my opinion
    Java is a terrible language for absolute beginners. It is very powerful
    and easy to learn and handle because of its high abstraction level _if
    you know what you're doing_, but to really understand how Java (or
    similar languages such as C#) works you should already have some basic
    concept of object-oriented programming because the high degree of
    abstraction can be quite dangerous for beginners. For instance, Java
    makes no syntactical difference between static and dynamic objects (in
    fact, it doesn't know static objects at all). This is perfectly o.k. for
    practical use but can make it harder for beginners to understand object
    oriented concepts such as polymorphism; and, of course, the garbage
    collector (which is a great thing in itself) makes you forget about
    memory management.
    Therefore, I would recommend to learn a more "traditional" programming
    language such as Objective Pascal or even C++ first - I know the latter
    is quite hard to learn, but once you've understood object-oriented
    programming in C++, Java and the likes will be a piece of cake; and -
    more importantly - you really know what you are doing, because C++
    forces you to actually think about everything.

    So much about my opinion on this matter; before anybody starts flaming
    me, please be reminded that this is just my opinion, no more, no less; I
    don't make any claims of truth or whatsoever.

    Regards,
    Chris

    Christoph Watzl, May 20, 2006
  9. Darpa

    Rhino Guest

    And giving your caps lock key a rest too, I hope!

    Rhino, May 20, 2006
  10. Darpa

    Darpa Guest

    I have some experience with programing, never with object oriented
    though, i know pascal and c but no objects there.
    I´ve had some classes at my college about designing and analising
    object oriented structures but never really programed nothing.
    I also incursionated a little in smalltalk with really messed with my
    head :p

    Darpa, May 20, 2006
  11. Darpa

    dimitar Guest

    If you are new to Java and if you are not not in a hurry, I'd suggest
    getting a good book and working your way through it before jumping to
    writing code that you'll regret :) Here is a freebie
    http://www.mindview.net/Books/TIJ/

    If you are new to programing as a whole, I've found that for some people
    really worked to start from here: http://diveintopython.org/

    dimitar, May 20, 2006
  12. Darpa

    Juha Laiho Guest

    Rather not, as others have said;
    - the site contains quite a lot of misleading information
    - many links are broken
    - seems to be based on Java implementation roughly 10 years back

    I'd rather recommend a beginner to take his steps through the
    Java Tutorial (http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/), which
    is maintained along with the new Java releases.

    This is more than just applets, and more than just graphics.
    It also gives a lot better treatise on getting started with the
    basic tools.

    Juha Laiho, May 20, 2006
  13. Darpa

    Joe Guest

    http://library.thinkquest.org/11537/
    Yeah, I agree with you guys about that site, sorry about that.

    --Joe

    Joe, May 22, 2006