where's rake?

7

7stud --

I installed rubygems, and I got help output when I issued the command:

$ gem help

so I think ruby gems installed correctly. But when I tried to install
the Rake gem, this was the output:

$ gem install -r rake
Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::GemNotFoundException)
Could not find rake (> 0) in any repository

$ gem install -r rake
Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
ERROR: While executing gem ... (Errno::EACCES)
Permission denied - /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/cache/rake-0.7.3.gem

It looks like I'm supposed to change permissions on a directory. Here
are the permissions for cache:

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Oct 7 13:24 cache

Do I just need to give directory cache write access, or should I change
a permission on a higher directory as well?

Rick DeNatale

[...]

Normally, unless you've custom installed gems to put things in your
own directory structure you run gem install as root.

In most modern systems this is best accomplished via

$sudo gem install rake

I assume that you do have root capabilities since you are talking
about changing permissions.

7

7stud --

Rick said:
$sudo gem install rake

I assume that you do have root capabilities since you are talking
about changing permissions.

Thanks, that did the trick. :)

Is there any way to avoid this every time:

Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org

That hangs for 3-5 minutes.

Eric Hodel

Thanks, that did the trick. :)

Is there any way to avoid this every time:

Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org

That hangs for 3-5 minutes.

It shouldn't any more. See [ruby-talk:272784].

Each user gets their own source_cache file, so you end up doing it
twice, once for yourself and once root. I think it would be ok to
copy root's source_cache, but that's not going to help much, since
its more likely to be out of date.

PS: What version is your RubyGems?

7

7stud --

Eric said:
Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org

That hangs for 3-5 minutes.

It shouldn't any more. See [ruby-talk:272784].

Each user gets their own source_cache file, so you end up doing it
twice, once for yourself and once root. I think it would be ok to
copy root's source_cache, but that's not going to help much, since
its more likely to be out of date.

PS: What version is your RubyGems?

The most recent version: 0.9.4.

Eric Hodel

Eric said:
Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org

That hangs for 3-5 minutes.

It shouldn't any more. See [ruby-talk:272784].

Each user gets their own source_cache file, so you end up doing it
twice, once for yourself and once root. I think it would be ok to
copy root's source_cache, but that's not going to help much, since
its more likely to be out of date.

PS: What version is your RubyGems?

The most recent version: 0.9.4.

In 0.9.4 the maximum number of gems allowed to be out of date is a
tiny 50 before switching to a bulk update. In 0.9.5 the amount will
be boosted to 1000.