Which Ruby Framework for a Web Application

Xevious

I have been out of the Ruby loop for a while. You might say I was Ruby
when Ruby
wasn't cool (to paraphrase a country song). That was a few years ago and
now I am
playing catch-up.

I am currently evaluating three web frameworks for Ruby: Rails, Iowa,
and Nitro.

Does anyone have some real-world observations on which would be best suited
for a web application that:

o Needs to emulate the functions of a webmail client (but will have a
custom
messaging backend based in SQL).

o Will have reporting capabilities similar to what you would expect
from Crystal Reports.
(the reports will be defined in SQL, web app provides presentation
and printing)

o Will need various bits of JavaScript and xmlHttpRequest magic. In
particular, emulation
of ASP.Net's tree control and bound datagrid.

o Will be hosted on Windows Server (but can use Apache instead of IIS).

o Will be load balanced across multiple servers. We *can* cause the
load balancer to
send request from the same client to the same host - that should
help with session and
state control.

o The ORM needs to be happy with stored procedures (or not used at
all). We will never
have direct access to even the smallest table.

Whew! That should be enough to chew on for the moment.

xev