Why do my sessions keep abandoning??

Philipp Schumann

On www.saes.info, I have set a session timeout of one hour. In the whole
project, there is not one call to Session.Abandon, not even a conditional
one. However, after a few clicks through the site, a new session is created
for me. Obviously, cookies are enabled at my end, even the lowest security
setting.

There is a box labelled "Recently Viewed" at the lower right end of the
pages, and sometimes the box just disappears and sort of re-fills as I
wander through the pages. When this happens, it is an indicator that a new
session has created. Why on earth is that? Anyone had similar problems?

cookieless=true
timeout=60

Rick Strahl [MVP]

Hi Phillip,

Is it possible that your application is restarting? This can happen if
you're in development mode and start/stop debugging which causes your app to
restart. Also any changes made to web.config or a serious crash in the app
can cause a restart. For the latter you can try and hook the
Application_Start and Application_End events in the global.asax file.

You might also consider using the State Service instead of InProc sessions,
which would keep alive sessions even through these above issues.

Just a thought,

+++ Rick ---

--

Rick Strahl