Why does Microsoft have such a hard time understanding what they say?

George Hester

You know there is a difference between the Microsoft .NET Framework and the
Microsoft .NET Framework SDK. Besides the fact that the former is 20 some
MB and the latter is some 100MB there is a difference you know. But not
according to this page:

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;306160

This command near the bottom:

N:\dotnetframework\dotnetfx.exe /t:c:\temp /c:"msiexec.exe /i
c:\temp\netfx.msi REINSTALL=ALL ReinstallMODE=vomus"

has not a damn thing to do with the Microsoft .NET Framework SDK. This is a
reinstallation of the Microsoft .NET Framework which is NOT the Microsoft
..NET Framework SDK as the title of this article says.

To me this is like the misunderstanding of Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft
Outlook Express.

Why does Microsoft have such a hard time understanding what they say? And
finally is there a repair for the Microsoft .NET Framework SDK not to be
confused with the Microsoft .NET Framework? Thanks.

George Hester

Sounds resaonable. But no. Read the article again.

--
George Hester
__________________________________
Carl Prothman said:
George,
Did you notice the part in the KB article that said
"or if the current installation of the .NET Framework becomes corrupted"?

I think that is the whole point of the kb article is if you upgrade the OS, or
the .NET Framework becomes corrupted, then the SDK may stop working
and you'll need to reinstall the .NET Framework (not the SDK).

--

Thanks,
Carl Prothman

George Hester

Steps to Repair the .NET Framework SDK Installation
1.. Obtain the original installation source. For example, if you installed
the .NET Framework SDK from a CD-ROM or DVD, insert that disc. If you
downloaded the .NET Framework SDK, download the .NET Framework SDK again
(click save to disk). If you installed from a network share, reconnect to
that share.
2.. On the Start menu, click Run.
3.. Type the following command (where N:\ is the original installation
path), and then press ENTER:
N:\dotnetframework\dotnetfx.exe /t:c:\temp /c:"msiexec.exe /i
c:\temp\netfx.msi REINSTALL=ALL ReinstallMODE=vomus"

NOTE: If you do not have a C:\temp folder on your computer, create one
before you run this command.
The Microsoft Windows Installer will verify and repair the .NET Framework
SDK installation.

This file dotnetfx.exe does NOT exist in the Microsoft .NET Framework SDK.
It does in the Microsoft .NET Framework but NOT in the Microsoft .NET
Framework SDK and if you read what this paragraph says very carefully you
will see that it says, "If you downloaded the .NET Framework SDK, download
the .NET Framework SDK again (click save to disk)." and if you do that you
will find that the file dotnetfx.exe does NOT exist in the download BECAUSE
it is in the Microsoft .NET Framework NOT in the Microsoft .NET Framework
SDK as THIS article says it does.

--
George Hester
__________________________________
Carl Prothman said:
George,
Did you notice the part in the KB article that said
"or if the current installation of the .NET Framework becomes corrupted"?

I think that is the whole point of the kb article is if you upgrade the OS, or
the .NET Framework becomes corrupted, then the SDK may stop working
and you'll need to reinstall the .NET Framework (not the SDK).

--

Thanks,
Carl Prothman
Microsoft ASP.NET MVP
http://www.able-consulting.com

Carl Prothman [MVP]

George,
You are correct! The download for the .NET Framework SDK 1.1 says:

"You must install the .NET Framework Redistributable Package version 1.1
prior to installing the .NET Framework SDK."

Good catch! I will forward your comments to Microsoft Support.

I'm sorry you had so much trouble with this. I can understand your frustation!