Why does Microsoft have such a hard time understanding what they say?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by George Hester, Aug 11, 2003.

  1. You know there is a difference between the Microsoft .NET Framework and the
    Microsoft .NET Framework SDK. Besides the fact that the former is 20 some
    MB and the latter is some 100MB there is a difference you know. But not
    according to this page:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;306160

    This command near the bottom:

    N:\dotnetframework\dotnetfx.exe /t:c:\temp /c:"msiexec.exe /i
    c:\temp\netfx.msi REINSTALL=ALL ReinstallMODE=vomus"

    has not a damn thing to do with the Microsoft .NET Framework SDK. This is a
    reinstallation of the Microsoft .NET Framework which is NOT the Microsoft
    ..NET Framework SDK as the title of this article says.

    To me this is like the misunderstanding of Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft
    Outlook Express.

    Why does Microsoft have such a hard time understanding what they say? And
    finally is there a repair for the Microsoft .NET Framework SDK not to be
    confused with the Microsoft .NET Framework? Thanks.

    George Hester, Aug 11, 2003

  2. Sounds resaonable. But no. Read the article again.

    --
    George Hester
    __________________________________

    George Hester, Aug 11, 2003

  3. Steps to Repair the .NET Framework SDK Installation
    1.. Obtain the original installation source. For example, if you installed
    the .NET Framework SDK from a CD-ROM or DVD, insert that disc. If you
    downloaded the .NET Framework SDK, download the .NET Framework SDK again
    (click save to disk). If you installed from a network share, reconnect to
    that share.
    2.. On the Start menu, click Run.
    3.. Type the following command (where N:\ is the original installation
    path), and then press ENTER:
    N:\dotnetframework\dotnetfx.exe /t:c:\temp /c:"msiexec.exe /i
    c:\temp\netfx.msi REINSTALL=ALL ReinstallMODE=vomus"

    NOTE: If you do not have a C:\temp folder on your computer, create one
    before you run this command.
    The Microsoft Windows Installer will verify and repair the .NET Framework
    SDK installation.

    This file dotnetfx.exe does NOT exist in the Microsoft .NET Framework SDK.
    It does in the Microsoft .NET Framework but NOT in the Microsoft .NET
    Framework SDK and if you read what this paragraph says very carefully you
    will see that it says, "If you downloaded the .NET Framework SDK, download
    the .NET Framework SDK again (click save to disk)." and if you do that you
    will find that the file dotnetfx.exe does NOT exist in the download BECAUSE
    it is in the Microsoft .NET Framework NOT in the Microsoft .NET Framework
    SDK as THIS article says it does.

    --
    George Hester
    __________________________________

    George Hester, Aug 11, 2003
  4. George,
    You are correct! The download for the .NET Framework SDK 1.1 says:

    "You must install the .NET Framework Redistributable Package version 1.1
    prior to installing the .NET Framework SDK."

    Good catch! I will forward your comments to Microsoft Support.

    I'm sorry you had so much trouble with this. I can understand your frustation!

    --

    Thanks,
    Carl Prothman

    Carl Prothman [MVP], Aug 11, 2003