why foo and bar

Heinrich Pumpernickel

in c/c++ programming people often call their variables foo and bar

why ?

Jonathan Pritchard

Lars said:
fucked up beyond all recognition

Slightly off topic but the first time I heard this referenced was in
Saving Private Ryan. As an in-joke amongst the men, excluding the new guy.

mensanator

Lars said:
fucked up beyond all recognition

But that doesn't explain why it's "foo" instead of "fu".

Obviously, when the WWII vets returned home, their wives
would get mad if they swore in front of their children. Hence,
my dad told us that SNAFU meant "Siuation Normal: All
Fouled Up". It was much later that I learned the original
meaning was "Fucked Up".

Not that your wife wouldn't get mad at you even if you didn't
swear. Such as the time my dad refered to our tomcat as
"the ball-bearing mouse trap".

Default User

Joe said:
The last word is 'repair' as I learned it years ago. US Military
FUBAR.

I've seen it both was, "repair" was more common in engineering, I
suppose as engineers would be expected to attempt repairs.

Brian

Ancient_Hacker

Heinrich said:
in c/c++ programming people often call their variables foo and bar

why ?

I don't know for sure, but it seems to have started on the US East
Coast.

We didnt know about it here in the MidWest, until I submitted a bug
report to DEC, in Marlborough, MA.

The commands they typed to (incorrectly) reproduce the bug were
something like:

..EDIT FOO.TXT
# I
THIS IS A LINE WITH TABS