Win2k IIS ASP.NET Error - cant run .aspx pages

Tony Lewis

I'm running IIS on a Windows 2k server and have just installed the .NET
framework 1.1 so I can deploy ASP.NET applications on my server through .NET
Studios. All my normal ASP applications run fine in IIS but I can't run any
ASP.NET pages. Everything in IIS was configured to handle the .aspx file
extension by the .NET framework installation and it installed with no
errors. When I try to view a simple ASP.NET page through a web browser I get
this error:
Server Error in '/' Application.
----
Runtime Error
error settings for this application prevent the details of the application
error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however,
be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable
on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config"
configuration file located in the root directory of the current web
application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute
set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

I go into my web.config file and change customErrors mode to "Off" but it
still gets the same error. I check my server logs and there is nothing
unusual & it shows the ASP service is running. I noticed that when I
installed the .NET Framework it added an aspnet_client folder to the root
folder of my existing webs. Now when I create a new web such as the one im
trying to post my .aspx file to, it doesn't place the aspnet_client folder
in the root directory of the web. Do I need to copy it there manually? If
some one could help me with this problem it will be greatly appreciated, or
if someone has a link to a good resource dealing with configuring ASP.NET
and XML support for IIS v5 on Win2k server. I've looked all over Microsoft's
knowledge base and I cant find an answer. Thanks.