Witch editor to use!

SMALLp

Hello!

I'm new in wxPython and before i start doing anything I have one qustion.

Shoul I use some of editors like boa, spe or shoud i use my favorite
text editor!

i used IDLE on windows and it seamd nice. Now i have linux installed on
my mashine and boa works, spe wont start, IDLE crashes when compailinfg!

And if editor is bether choice witch one to use!

limodou

Hello!

I'm new in wxPython and before i start doing anything I have one qustion.

Shoul I use some of editors like boa, spe or shoud i use my favorite
text editor!

i used IDLE on windows and it seamd nice. Now i have linux installed on
my mashine and boa works, spe wont start, IDLE crashes when compailinfg!

And if editor is bether choice witch one to use!

Maybe you can try UliPad.

Ant

Hello!

I'm new in wxPython and before i start doing anything I have one qustion.

Shoul I use some of editors like boa, spe or shoud i use my favorite
text editor!

i used IDLE on windows and it seamd nice. Now i have linux installed on
my mashine and boa works, spe wont start, IDLE crashes when compailinfg!

And if editor is bether choice witch one to use!

One with a spell checker would be a good start.

Ben Finney

SMALLp said:
Shoul I use some of editors like boa, spe or shoud i use my favorite
text editor!

Any text editor will, in a minimal way, do the job, so there's nothing
to enforce "should". But since it seems you're asking for opinions:

A text editor is an indispensible tool for a programmer, and it needs
to be used very frequently, to the point of being able to use it
without conscious interruption of thought to figure out how to do
something.

I think you should learn one powerful general-purpose extensible
cross-platform popular free-software text editor, learn to use it well
over time, and use that for as much of your text editing as possible.

It seems ludicrous to me that people choose editors that are any of:

* too simple (can't increase expressiveness as you grow in
competence using it)

* too narrow-focus (can't leverage the investment of learning that
tool by using it for every text editing task)

* exclude a major operating system (can't leverage the leraning
investment when moving to a new platform)

* too little community base (can't take advantage of a user
community sharing improvements and features)

* not free software (can't install it with impunity on any
workstation one finds oneself needing an editor, and can't be
confident the software will continue to be available for as long
as users want it available)
And if editor is bether choice witch one to use!

The two main choices that meet the criteria above are Vim and Emacs.
In my opinion, either is a good choice.

barberomarcelo

Hello!

I'm new in wxPython and before i start doing anything I have one qustion.

Shoul I use some of editors like boa, spe or shoud i use my favorite
text editor!

i used IDLE on windows and it seamd nice. Now i have linux installed on
my mashine and boa works, spe wont start, IDLE crashes when compailinfg!

And if editor is bether choice witch one to use!

I have spe installed and working in Ubuntu 7.10. See some feedback
here:

http://pythonide.blogspot.com/2007/02/spe-now-works-on-wxpython28-and-how-to.html

When I installed spe, it didn't start, but there was a previous fix
(editing a file that I can't remember now). It was a wx version
problem.

HTH

Marcelo

rm

And if editor is bether choice witch one to use!
The two main choices that meet the criteria above are Vim and Emacs.
In my opinion, either is a good choice.

Both Vim and Emacs are hard to learn. In other words, they will
require that you spend at least some time studying how they work and
practicing. They have a learning curve that is much larger than using
something simple like NEdit, Gedit, KWrite, etc. But, they are a lot
more powerful. One thing that I think favors Vim over Emacs, is that
Vim seems to be installed by default on almost all Linux distros. So,
if you learn Vim you will never (almost) be without an editor, even if
you just have access through a terminal. So, I recommend that you do
learn at least the basics of Vim. Just my 2 cents.

Jorgen Grahn

Both Vim and Emacs are hard to learn. In other words, they will
require that you spend at least some time studying how they work and
practicing. They have a learning curve that is much larger than using
something simple like NEdit, Gedit, KWrite, etc. But, they are a lot
more powerful.

In other words: if there are no features, you don't have to work to
learn them?

I agree that learning to use an editor well is hard work -- but its
well worth it. It's the primary interface between the programmer and
the computer, and will continue to be so until you are too old to
type.
One thing that I think favors Vim over Emacs, is that
Vim seems to be installed by default on almost all Linux distros.

As I understand it, they tend to include a crippled version of vim
with many of the interesting features disabled. Doesn't help a Python
developer much. Of course, both Emacs and the full vim are
trivial to install, unless you're the sysadmin's sworn enemy.

/Jorgen