Word automation

Joe Lalor

I am trying to automatically open a word document in an asp.net application. It
works fine on the local host, but when I deploy on a W2003 server, the
winword process starts (I can see it in the task manager on the server), but
the document doesn't open on the client. If I define the document as the
target of a hyperlink on my asp.net page, it opens fine when I click on it.
I've
tried using :

System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("c:\test.DOC")

(System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("notepad.exe") also doesn't work)

and

Batch.appWord = New Word.Application

Batch.docWord = Batch.appWord.Documents.Open("c:\test.doc")

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> I am trying to automatically open a word document in an asp.net application. It
!> works fine on the local host, but when I deploy on a W2003 server, the
!> winword process starts (I can see it in the task manager on the server), but
!> the document doesn't open on the client.

If you check your *server* you'll see that it opens on the server.
ASP.NET runs on the server, not on the client.

re:
!> If I define the document as the target of a hyperlink
!> on my asp.net page, it opens fine when I click on it.

Yes.

Hyperlinks are sent to the client as HTML, and it's the
client which initiates the process when the link is clicked.

Marc

A web server cannot create a process on the client machine. Depending on
what you are doing, I would get the user to upload the word file, run
whatever processing you need to, and then let them download a modified file.

Marc

John Frazer

Response.Redirect("<url of the word document>");

Or in the page class create a member variable: string docurl = "<url of the
word documet>";
Then use javascript on the OnLoad event to open a new window with that URL.