Workflow in ASP.NET ?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by Paul, Feb 22, 2004.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Hi.

    I asked this one before without any response, but I'll give it ago.

    In Commerce Server they have a pipeline editor which runs a series of
    components, the main drawback is that it doesnt support strong names or any
    web-interface programming, so changes need to be made from the admin
    utility.

    Surely its possible to create a workflow component in VB.NET where you can
    get this to call specific functions within a list of assemblies using
    reflection or IDispath, the only other problem is it has a scriptor
    component that allows you to use VB script, how would this be compiled on
    the fly and you would also need to pass an object to the script function.

    Any ideas ?

    Thanks
    Paul

    Paul, Feb 22, 2004

  2. I'm not totally sure what you are after here.
    If you want to compile code within a vb.net application, you would need to
    implement the ICompile from ICodeCompiler compiler execution interface.
    You'd need the compiler for the specific language though and I'm not sure if
    there is one out for scripting.

    Was that what you were wanting?

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Feb 22, 2004

  3. Patrice Scribe, Feb 23, 2004
  4. Paul

    TJoker .NET Guest

    Paul, I did something similar to what you need, enabling
    my application to be extended via "textual code", with
    objects being passed and all.
    I used Visual Studio for Applications (VSA).
    The assemblies Microsoft.Vsa and Microsoft.VisualBasic.Vsa
    helped me in this case. It is a very long topic to try to
    explain here but there's a newsgroup devoted to just that
    microsoft.public.dotnet.vsa
    There was also an article on MSDN Magazine briefly
    covering the topic.

    HTH
    TJ

    TJoker .NET, Feb 23, 2004
  5. Paul

    Paul Guest

    In commerce server they have a pipeline editor which runs a series of COM+
    compoenent (which they call a pipeline) and calls a function called
    Execute(object) in each component. Now I'm guessing this is quite simple
    with Reflection to call procedures in assemblies and pass an object to the
    procedure. One of the components they have called a Scriptor allows you to
    enter your own VB code, thus making the pipeline easier for people to change
    the workflow details, question is how can you get the component to run the
    vbscript code and pass an object to the vb script code. In all of the
    components they can modify the object so I guess it is just passed byref.

    Thanks

    Paul, Feb 26, 2004
  6. Patrice Scribe, Feb 27, 2004
  7. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Hi.

    Thanks I had a quick look so I'll go over the article later, basically the
    the workflow component needs to provide script access that doesnt need to be
    compiled, thus the workflow can easily be customised

    Paul, Feb 27, 2004
  8. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Paul, Feb 27, 2004
  9. I already pointed this out in my earlier thread. You don't need to use a 3rd
    party component. Microsoft already provides one.

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Feb 27, 2004
  10. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Yeah, sorry wasn't consentrating I thought it would need to install the VS
    compiler on webserver! Dope I am. Now looking into it.

    Thanks

    Paul, Feb 27, 2004