Workflow in ASP.NET ?

Paul

Hi.

I asked this one before without any response, but I'll give it ago.

In Commerce Server they have a pipeline editor which runs a series of
components, the main drawback is that it doesnt support strong names or any
web-interface programming, so changes need to be made from the admin
utility.

Surely its possible to create a workflow component in VB.NET where you can
get this to call specific functions within a list of assemblies using
reflection or IDispath, the only other problem is it has a scriptor
component that allows you to use VB script, how would this be compiled on
the fly and you would also need to pass an object to the script function.

Any ideas ?

Thanks
Paul

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

I'm not totally sure what you are after here.
If you want to compile code within a vb.net application, you would need to
implement the ICompile from ICodeCompiler compiler execution interface.
You'd need the compiler for the specific language though and I'm not sure if
there is one out for scripting.

Was that what you were wanting?

TJoker .NET

Paul, I did something similar to what you need, enabling
my application to be extended via "textual code", with
objects being passed and all.
I used Visual Studio for Applications (VSA).
The assemblies Microsoft.Vsa and Microsoft.VisualBasic.Vsa
helped me in this case. It is a very long topic to try to
explain here but there's a newsgroup devoted to just that
microsoft.public.dotnet.vsa
There was also an article on MSDN Magazine briefly
covering the topic.

HTH
TJ

Paul

In commerce server they have a pipeline editor which runs a series of COM+
compoenent (which they call a pipeline) and calls a function called
Execute(object) in each component. Now I'm guessing this is quite simple
with Reflection to call procedures in assemblies and pass an object to the
procedure. One of the components they have called a Scriptor allows you to
enter your own VB code, thus making the pipeline easier for people to change
the workflow details, question is how can you get the component to run the
vbscript code and pass an object to the vb script code. In all of the
components they can modify the object so I guess it is just passed byref.

Thanks

Paul

Hi.

Thanks I had a quick look so I'll go over the article later, basically the
the workflow component needs to provide script access that doesnt need to be
compiled, thus the workflow can easily be customised

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

I already pointed this out in my earlier thread. You don't need to use a 3rd
party component. Microsoft already provides one.

Paul

Yeah, sorry wasn't consentrating I thought it would need to install the VS
compiler on webserver! Dope I am. Now looking into it.

Thanks

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney [ASP.NET MVP]
Paul said:
Hi.

Found the solution CodeDom !!! You can ocmpile the code on the fly and it
creates the assembly in memory. I've pased a link to some sample coding,
works nicely, so now you can open up particular parts of an application that
are compiled on the fly.

http://www.codeproject.com/vb/net/DotNetCompilerArticle.asp#xx747089xx

Thanks
Paul