Working with time (dateDiff)

John Smith

Hi,

I'm having trouble working out the best way of calculating the time
difference between two times on the same day.
The example I have found does return the hours (in this case 8) but forgets
the minutes.

I am looking to return the hour & the minute but i've had a look at the
dateDiff format and this doesn't seem possible ?

Thanks

J.

---------------------------------
time1 = "09:15"
time2 = "17:30"

hours = datediff("h",time1,time2) ' in hours

response.write(hours)
----------------------------------

Rob Meade

I am looking to return the hour & the minute but i've had a look at the
dateDiff format and this doesn't seem possible ?
hours = datediff("h",time1,time2) ' in hours

hours = datediff("m", time1, time2) ' in minutes

hours = hours / 60

its rough...

Rob

Rob Meade

---------------------------------
time1 = "09:15"
time2 = "17:30"

hours = datediff("h",time1,time2) ' in hours

response.write(hours)
----------------------------------

So - in the above - hours = 8 and the minutes are lost...

hours = datediff("n", time1, time2) ' in minutes
' hours would now =

Rob Meade

---------------------------------
time1 = "09:15"
time2 = "17:30"

hours = datediff("h",time1,time2) ' in hours

response.write(hours)
----------------------------------

Hi John,

Please excuse my first post which I placed an m for minutes instead of the
n - please then excuse my second post which I sent to early prior to
finishing a code example...

Try this!

<%
time1 = "09:15"
time2 = "17:30"

' minutes = datediff("n",time1,time2) ' in minutes
' response.write(hours)

hour1 = hour(time1)
hour2 = hour(time2)

minutes1 = "00:" & minute(time1)
minutes2 = "00:" & minute(time2)

hoursDiff = datediff("h", time1, time2)
minutesDiff = datediff("n", minutes1, minutes2)

If minutesDiff > -1 Then

' positive hour difference
timeDiff = hoursDiff & "hrs " & minutesDiff & "mins"

Else
' negative hour difference
hoursDiff = hoursDiff - 1
minutesDiff = 60 + minutesDiff

timeDiff = hoursDiff & "hrs " & minutesDiff & "mins"

End If

Response.Write timeDiff
%>

Give the above ago - then try changing it so that the minutes of time2 are
less than the minutes of time1 - still works nicely - you'll need to play
with different times to test it fully I'm sure there's still an opportunity
here for error in the above.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Rob

McKirahan

John Smith said:
Hi,

I'm having trouble working out the best way of calculating the time
difference between two times on the same day.
The example I have found does return the hours (in this case 8) but forgets
the minutes.

I am looking to return the hour & the minute but i've had a look at the
dateDiff format and this doesn't seem possible ?

Thanks

J.

---------------------------------
time1 = "09:15"
time2 = "17:30"

hours = datediff("h",time1,time2) ' in hours

response.write(hours)

Const time1 = "09:15"
Const time2 = "17:30"
Dim hours, mins
hours = datediff("h",time1,time2)
mins = datediff("n",time1,time2)
If mins > 60 Then mins = mins - hours * 60
response.write hours & ":" & mins