writing asp variabls within javascript blocks

Darrel

In asp.net 1.1, what is the proper method for writing variables to the aspx
page that are contained within javascript blocks?

example:

<script language="JavaScript">
myJavascriptVariable= <asp:Literal Runat="server"
ID="ltl_sectionsJavascriptVariables"></asp:Literal>;
</script>

ASP.net doesn't like that syntax.

-Darrel

MS

hi

use this way ....

<script language="JavaScript">
myJavascriptVariable= <% = serverVariable %>;
</script>

Thanks
Munawar

Laurent Bugnion

Hi,
Well, that's a pain. Isn't javascript supposed to be client side? Why stick
it in the codebehind?

Thanks, though!

-Darrel

I don't get your question.

JavaScript is client-side, but some part of your scripts might depend on
server-side variables. What I do is create JS files with the "pure
client-side code". However, some parts of the code must be created
dynamically on the server (typical example: localized texts), so I add
script lines using RegisterClientScriptBlock.

Eventually, every piece of script added to the page is interpreted and
can be referenced from other piece of script on the same page.

HTH,
Laurent