Writing Nokia Games

Mark Simon

I don't know whether this is the right news group for this question, but
here goes ...

I would like to write a few games for the Nokia 6100 (Which is, I
believe, a Series 40 ...?).

I woul like to develop on Windows XP.

I have had some experience with Java, but mainly on Macintosh (OSX)
which has its own software.

What do I need on my system to get going? I am finding it hard to work
out which IDEs and SDKs and whatever.

I guess that I should go with NetBeans and something like J2ME, but I am
at sea at this point.

Thanks,

Mark

Steve Bosman

Mark said:
I don't know whether this is the right news group for this question, but
here goes ...

I would like to write a few games for the Nokia 6100 (Which is, I
believe, a Series 40 ...?).
Google this group there have been several questions about midlets
I woul like to develop on Windows XP.

I have had some experience with Java, but mainly on Macintosh (OSX)
which has its own software.

What do I need on my system to get going? I am finding it hard to work
out which IDEs and SDKs and whatever.

I guess that I should go with NetBeans and something like J2ME, but I am
at sea at this point.

I have found using the WTK from sun to be straightforward, but Netbeans
makes it extremely easy to develop and test your midlet. You only need
to download netbeans (which can include a JDK) and the mobile developer
stuff and away you go. It even generates a template Midlet project to
get you started.

mcpierce

This is as good a group as any as far as Usenet's concerned for posting
J2ME questions. There's the KVM-INTEREST mailing list hosted by sun
<http://archives.java.sun.com/kvm-interest.html> that's more
specialized for MIDP development, though.

To do MIDP development on Windows XP, you can start out with the
following:

Eclipse
EclipseME
Sun's Wireless Toolkit 2.2

and then incorporate the Nokia SDKs as necessary for testing. I've not
worked with NetBeans so I don't know how it compares to Eclipse, but
EclipseME is my preferred environment now.

Anton Spaans

Mark Simon said:
I don't know whether this is the right news group for this question, but
here goes ...

I would like to write a few games for the Nokia 6100 (Which is, I
believe, a Series 40 ...?).

I woul like to develop on Windows XP.

I have had some experience with Java, but mainly on Macintosh (OSX)
which has its own software.

What do I need on my system to get going? I am finding it hard to work
out which IDEs and SDKs and whatever.

I guess that I should go with NetBeans and something like J2ME, but I am
at sea at this point.

Thanks,

Mark

Take a look at this link. Here is all the info you need.
http://www.forum.nokia.com/main.html

-- Anton.

Mark Simon

Mark said:
I don't know whether this is the right news group for this question, but
here goes ...

I would like to write a few games for the Nokia 6100 (Which is, I
believe, a Series 40 ...?).

I woul like to develop on Windows XP.

I have had some experience with Java, but mainly on Macintosh (OSX)
which has its own software.

What do I need on my system to get going? I am finding it hard to work
out which IDEs and SDKs and whatever.

I guess that I should go with NetBeans and something like J2ME, but I am
at sea at this point.

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks for your help. This gives me a good starting point.

Mark