[wxPython] Smileys in my text ctrl

Madhan

All:
I am developing a chat client in python. I want to include smileys in
my instant messages. Which component support this? I used wxTextCtrl
for both input and output.
This chat client runs both in win and linux platform. Any suggestion
will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Madhan

Zunbeltz Izaola

All:
I am developing a chat client in python. I want to include smileys in
my instant messages. Which component support this? I used wxTextCtrl
for both input and output.

Hi,

I have never done a thing like that, but I think mybe something like a
wxHtmlWindow (see demo) can help. You can insert the smileys like png
images.

This chat client runs both in win and linux platform. Any suggestion
will be greatly appreciated.

Good luck!

Zunbeltz
Thanks
Madhan

--
Zunbeltz Izaola Azkona | wmbizazz at lg dot ehu
dotes

Jeff Shannon

Madhan said:
All:
I am developing a chat client in python. I want to include smileys in
my instant messages. Which component support this? I used wxTextCtrl
for both input and output.

If you want something more powerful and flexible than a wxTextCtrl, try
looking at the wxStyledTextCtrl, which is a wxWidgets wrapper around the
Scintilla control. This is the same component that, for example, the
SciTe programmer's editor and the PythonWin IDE use. I've never needed
to use it, myself, but I expect that it should be able to do just about
anything you might want. (The only reservation I'd have about it is
that it's possible that it's a bit more heavyweight than you'd want;
it's hard to judge that without taking a close look, though.)

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International

Neil Hodgson

Jeff Shannon:
If you want something more powerful and flexible than a wxTextCtrl, try
looking at the wxStyledTextCtrl, which is a wxWidgets wrapper around the
Scintilla control.

There is no reasonable way to get Scintilla to display smileys. It is a
very serious widget :-(

Neil

Madhan

Hi Zunbeltz,
Thanks for the info, but I think wxHtmlWindow is a complete window
component. I think I cannot use that as my text panel, because the
methods of wxHtmlWindow do not support appending the text(IMessages),
all it supports is loading a web page !!.
So may be I have to look for some other component.

I really appreciate your effort.

If anybody have any other ideas, it will be great to know that.

Thanks
Maddy

Madhan

Hi Neil Hodgson,
I was just checking about the wxStyledTextCtrl and found the page. I
then realized that the scintilla component is written by you. So I got
to take your words :)
but is there any other component that I can make use of.

Thanks
Maddy

Peter Maas

Neil said:
There is no reasonable way to get Scintilla to display smileys. It is a
very serious widget :-(

What does your 'frowney' mean? Do you dislike the idea of displaying
smileys or do you regret that Scintilla is a serious widget?

But anyway, there is a way: open a Scite window, switch to Unicode
and enter the Unicode character U+263A: This is a smiley: ☺

:)

Since Scite is Unicode enabled (thanks, Neil) I do nearly all my
text editing in UTF-8.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen,

Peter Maas

Neil Hodgson

Peter Maas:
What does your 'frowney' mean? Do you dislike the idea of displaying
smileys or do you regret that Scintilla is a serious widget?

It was more sympathy with the OP not being able to achieve their goal.
But anyway, there is a way: open a Scite window, switch to Unicode
and enter the Unicode character U+263A: This is a smiley: ?

:)

OK, it is available! I expect the OP wanted colourful smileys as are
displayed in some mail applications.

Neil