XML: How to remove whitespaces from element's text?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Berco, Jan 7, 2004.

  1. Berco

    Berco Guest

    When I invoke getNodeValue() on the sub-element of the following XML
    document:

    <item>
    <sub>
    The text I'm interested in.
    </sub>
    </item>

    the returned text includes many pre- and trailing whitespaces. Is there a
    standard way to get rid of those whitespaces? I've tried:

    DocumentBuilderFactory.setIgnoringElementContentWhitespace(true);

    But that doesn't seem to work.

    Cheers,
    Berco

    Berco, Jan 7, 2004