Zip Codes

James

Recent project came to me. We have "orders" that are entered into our
database through a data entry web-based application that we've built.
Typically, the user enters the city/state/zip code/county. Now they want it
to be able to autopopulate the city/state/county based on entering only the
Zip Code. We realize this can be a problem as Zip Codes can overlap
different counties/cities/etc. Is there a good way to handle this? Perhaps
some kind of control we can use on an ASP page that will read our Zip Code
data and handle this somehow?

McKirahan

James said:
Recent project came to me. We have "orders" that are entered into our
database through a data entry web-based application that we've built.
Typically, the user enters the city/state/zip code/county. Now they want it
to be able to autopopulate the city/state/county based on entering only the
Zip Code. We realize this can be a problem as Zip Codes can overlap
different counties/cities/etc. Is there a good way to handle this? Perhaps
some kind of control we can use on an ASP page that will read our Zip Code
data and handle this somehow?

The zip code database chnages thus you can't use a static database.

http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/welcome.jsp

"For integrating ZIP Code Lookup capabilities into your web site or
application system, please visit our Web Tools (APIs) or find additional
addressing products at Address Information System Products (AIS)."

The "Address Information APIs" include "City/State Lookup"w hcih may not
include County.

Tim Slattery

James said:
Recent project came to me. We have "orders" that are entered into our
database through a data entry web-based application that we've built.
Typically, the user enters the city/state/zip code/county. Now they want it
to be able to autopopulate the city/state/county based on entering only the
Zip Code. We realize this can be a problem as Zip Codes can overlap
different counties/cities/etc.

For mailing addresses, the overlap doesn't matter. The city name you
get from the ZIP database will be the one the USPS wants to see. But
if you intend to use this information to determine sales taxes or
something like that, you will be in trouble.

For example, I live in Fairfax County, Virginia, but my ZIP code
translates to Alexandria - and that is what we use for our mailing
address, and what the USPS wants us to use.

But we pay taxes to Fairfax County, *not* Alexandria city. If you used
our ZIP to determine taxing jurisdiction, you'd have us paying
Alexandria rates, and you'd be sending the money to Alexandria. Wrong
on both counts. And this kind of thing is commonplace, all over the
country.

Ah..I see that one of the things you want to auto populate is County.
As I've just demonstrated, you're doomed.