ZoDB's capabilities

Calvin Spealman

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Consider that this is
exactly what ZODB was designed for. It is, after all, the database back-end
for Zope itself, which is just another (very good, some say) CMS.
Hello,

I'm going to write a custom CMS. I'd like to use some odbms, as code is
then much more cleaner...however, i'm a little bit scared about
capabilities of ZoDB, when compared with f. e. Firebird.
How much instances is Zodb able to handle? Under "handle" I mean "in real
time", not "theoretically". I'd like to use it for dynamic portal with
about 2000 - 3000 UIP / day.

And, how is it with stability and crash recovery? I can't find some more
sources about zodb, when there are some other sources then those on Zope,
please tell me. Or, please tell me if you knew some better odbms engine
^_^

Thanks,

Almad

--
Lukas "Almad" Linhart

[:: http://www.almad.net/ ::]
[:: Humans are too complicated to be described with words. ::]
[:: PGP/GNUPg key: http://www.almad.net/download/pubkey.asc ::]

Larry Bates

There is a VERY large website that uses Zope/ZODB that takes up to
9000 hits per second when it gets busy. ZODB is very fast and
holds up well under load.

You should probably look at Plone. It is CMS already built on
top of Zope. Might safe you a LOT of work.

Larry Bates

Lars

Quote Larry Bates:
There is a VERY large website that uses Zope/ZODB that takes up to
9000 hits per second when it gets busy.

What's the url? I just got curious to see it a big site on Zope in
action.

Almad

Larry said:
There is a VERY large website that uses Zope/ZODB that takes up to
9000 hits per second when it gets busy. ZODB is very fast and
holds up well under load.

If it's true, I'm glad. Other side of think is, on what hardware is this
site running :eek:)

You should probably look at Plone. It is CMS already built on
top of Zope. Might safe you a LOT of work.

I've looked on Plone, I don't want it. My CMS will be somehow very specific,
and I prefer to learn from my programming.

Larry Bates

--
Lukas "Almad" Linhart

[:: http://www.almad.net/ ::]
[:: Humans are too complicated to be described with words. ::]
[:: PGP/GNUPg key: http://www.almad.net/download/pubkey.asc ::]

Dieter Maurer

Larry Bates said:
There is a VERY large website that uses Zope/ZODB that takes up to
9000 hits per second when it gets busy. ZODB is very fast and
holds up well under load.

But, you will not get 9000 hits per second from the ZODB (unless
both your disk and your processor are unexpectedly fast).

To get 9000 hits per second, you need extensive caching.

Dieter